elusive royal

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
robertincal
Forum Rookie

elusive royal

Post by robertincal »

My understanding from what I have read is that the RNG selects ten cards,five we can see and five we cant see.The five we cant see are not line up directly behind each card we can see,but in a separate pile so that if you elected to keep cards one,two, and three you would get the first two cards in the pile.If you elected to keep cards three,four,and five you would get the same two csrds as above.
Its got to be a real miracle if you are dealt four to a royal and the very next card in the pile is the missing card.
The next one I get Im framing it.
Bob

BOOPSAHOY
Video Poker Master

Post by BOOPSAHOY »

I understand differently-when u hit deal it stops shuffling and deals the top 5 cards and then starts  shuffling the remainder until u hold your cards and click deal and then it stops shuffling and fills in the cards.  DOes anyone know which is correct????

oej719
Video Poker Master

Post by oej719 »

I have heard both versions in books and articles recently. It should not effect play though either way that I can see

spxChrome
VP Veteran

Post by spxChrome »

Well I also heard that it deals the 5 out and then has 5 dealt under the 5 showing so your hand is predetermined it just depends on what you unveal/throw away.

Eduardo
Video Poker Master

Post by Eduardo »

The article on this site says that it only chooses 5 at first and the RNG keeps going with the cards that are left in the deck. And if you draw cards it then takes the card that is on the top of the deck at the time.See here:http://www.videopoker.com/insideScoop/s ... tions/#rng

robertincal
Forum Rookie

Post by robertincal »

I just want to reiterate that the five unseen cards are not directly behind the five cards shown.If you discard two cards,no matter which two, you will get the first two cards off the pile of five cards that were dealt when you hit deal the first time. Those five cards are there just waiting to see how many of them will be needed.

MikeA
Video Poker Master

Post by MikeA »

I just want to reiterate that the five unseen cards are not directly behind the five cards shown.If you discard two cards,no matter which two, you will get the first two cards off the pile of five cards that were dealt when you hit deal the first time. Those five cards are there just waiting to see how many of them will be needed.

If I understand your proclamation Robertincal, you are describing the operation of some of the early video poker machines.  The new machines no longer function that way.  If you wait a nanosecond longer to press the draw button after making your "hold" selections, then you will not get the same card.  The RNG is constantly working and is halted ONLY when you hit the draw button.  All cards not already dealt are being shuffled constantly until that DRAW button is pressed.

oej719
Video Poker Master

Post by oej719 »

So MikeA, Either way it should not change the way you make your holds and play the game should it?

MikeA
Video Poker Master

Post by MikeA »

Not at all oej719.  There is no way to predict what card is going to come out next...even the processors in the machines do not know until you give them the command to "deal" by hitting the button.  If you wish to gain the best return on your game, you have little recourse than playing by the computed basic strategy charts.

The entire question is simply one of trivia and a desire to know the "history" of the development of the machines. 

I believe the first machines on the floors did display 5 cards and at the time those were displayed, there was one card "dealt" behind each of those cards and if you discarded any card, the card "behind" it was the one you'd "draw".  I am not sure why they changed this.  I read something about it once, but didn't retain the information.

royal flush
Video Poker Master

Post by royal flush »

the deck stops shuffling when u press deal no change in order of deck until next game