Deuce's Wild Paytable

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
shapsplace
Forum Newbie

Deuce's Wild Paytable

Post by shapsplace »

Hi- I've searched and searched for the pay table and % payback for a deuce's wild game that I saw but I've been unable to find one for this particular game. Can anyone help or point me in the right direction? The pay table is as follows:

Natural Royal--800-1
Four Deuce's---250-1
Wild Royal------45-1
Five of a kind--15-1
Straight Flush---9-1
Four of a kind---4-1
Full House-------3-1
Flush-------------2-1
Straight----------2-1
Three of a kind--1-1

Thank you, C

dinghy
Video Poker Master

Post by dinghy »

The 45 pay on the wild royal looks familiar, but not sure where I saw it.

Wizard of Odds video poker analyzer will give you the payback which is 99.37% imo. The analyzer defaults to 5-coin bets, but you can change it to 1 otherwise you'd have to multiply all your #s by 5.

Variance is 35 compared to only 26 for full-pay deuces or airport deuces. Compared to usual, it's the rarer payouts at the top that are boosted.

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

It's an awful pay scale (94.34% return). I used the Wizard of Odds website to determine it. That website is an extremely valuable tool for answering many, many VP questions.

Another resource is vpFREE2. It's not quite as comprehensive is the Wizard's site, but it does list a lot of pay tables, and their returns, for many VP games.

dinghy
Video Poker Master

Post by dinghy »

onemoretry wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:10 pm
It's an awful pay scale (94.34% return).
That's what I get if the 2222 and wild royal pays are normal, but the OP's game has elevated pays on those outcomes.

shapsplace
Forum Newbie

Post by shapsplace »

dinghy wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:57 pm
The 45 pay on the wild royal looks familiar, but not sure where I saw it.

Wizard of Odds video poker analyzer will give you the payback which is 99.37% imo. The analyzer defaults to 5-coin bets, but you can change it to 1 otherwise you'd have to multiply all your #s by 5.

Variance is 35 compared to only 26 for full-pay deuces or airport deuces. Compared to usual, it's the rarer payouts at the top that are boosted.
Thank you, much appreciated. Now I just need to figure out how to optimally play it :)

dinghy
Video Poker Master

Post by dinghy »

shapsplace wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:24 pm
Thank you, much appreciated. Now I just need to figure out how to optimally play it :)
Wizard of Odds has a strategy maker, although the output can be a little hard to follow.

I don't see anything crazy in the strategy. You'll hold one pair only instead of 2 pair.

With no deuces present, hold any two royal cards, unless there's something better.

shapsplace
Forum Newbie

Post by shapsplace »

Wow, thanks again! One question regarding the strategy to use; do I use the basic strategy or the basic strategy exceptions? It's confusing how it's written. Nonetheless, if I use the basic strategy exceptions then I wouldn't hold any two royal cards as it shows as the wrong play under the basic strategy exception.

dinghy
Video Poker Master

Post by dinghy »

shapsplace wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:18 pm
if I use the basic strategy exceptions then I wouldn't hold any two royal cards as it shows as the wrong play under the basic strategy exception.
Good question. I think you can ignore the exceptions because for perfect strategy I see 99.3747, and for basic I see 99.3742. That's an insignificant differential.

To answer completely though, the exceptions are based on specified patterns that trigger a change to strategy. For example, on the KA hold which is the 3rd line of the exceptions, you basically need to look for presence of other flush cards. If you expand where it says "(more)", you'll see the full list. When the KA is accompanied by a card of the same suit, then you redraw instead of holding the KA because the incidental card would have interfered with your flush potential.

But without any other card of the same suit, you hold the KA. Usually :D .

Someone will correct me if I got that wrong.

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

dinghy wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:51 pm
onemoretry wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:10 pm
It's an awful pay scale (94.34% return).
.... but the OP's game has elevated pays on those outcomes.
Yes. I don't know how I completely missed those higher payouts on the deuces and wild royal.

Oh well, it's now time for my nap.

shapsplace
Forum Newbie

Post by shapsplace »

dinghy wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:40 pm
shapsplace wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:18 pm
if I use the basic strategy exceptions then I wouldn't hold any two royal cards as it shows as the wrong play under the basic strategy exception.
Good question. I think you can ignore the exceptions because for perfect strategy I see 99.3747, and for basic I see 99.3742. That's an insignificant differential.

To answer completely though, the exceptions are based on specified patterns that trigger a change to strategy. For example, on the KA hold which is the 3rd line of the exceptions, you basically need to look for presence of other flush cards. If you expand where it says "(more)", you'll see the full list. When the KA is accompanied by a card of the same suit, then you redraw instead of holding the KA because the incidental card would have interfered with your flush potential.
Thank you for the thorough explanation. It makes total sense now. Cheers