Airplanes, luggage, parking

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
marie meijer
Video Poker Master

Airplanes, luggage, parking

Post by marie meijer »

We are truly grateful for the pilots and all others connected with the aviation industry because our flights have all landed safely, luggage showed up eventually and most flights have been on time! FYI: Gal with two ADORABLE munchkins just paid $240 for parking for 12 days in short term at Reagan National in DC. ($20/day!) She would have saved $96 had she parked in their long term lot $12/day). Parking would have been even less off premises at private lots. Last night, we paid $10/day at Detroit Metro owned yellow lot for convenience/speed, because others had made us late catching plane. We have always parked further away in less expensive private lots and taken shuttle to our airlines. 'No need to compare airport parking rates throughout the US, I just thought some others would appreciate this info. 

marie meijer
Video Poker Master

Post by marie meijer »

We are truly grateful for the pilots and all others connected with the aviation industry because our flights have all landed safely!  Last night at Detroit Metro, a guy had flown in from Vegas and waited over an hour for his luggage to NOT arrive on the anticipated carousel. He was extremely vocal (read unprintable) to the clerks at Northwest because he had checked his luggage four hours before his flight time. None of us had realized before that if one checks their luggage a long time before flight, it might, and "it happens all the time" according to NW personnel, be put on the next flight out. That luggage is put in a holding area at the destination. True, lost or missing luggage is a concern, but no need to berate the clerks trying to help. It was not their personal fault and they were only trying to earn a living. Lost or missing luggage is not worth an ulcer or heart attack. Half a plane full of passengers awaited luggage from our DC flight at carousel 4 as indicated with our flight in lights. Over an hour passed and many of us found the luggage "complaint dept". We had checked our luggage hours earlier before our flight time and thought ours might have been on earlier flight and held elsewhere. Others were complaining as unpleasantly as the Vegas passenger. A couple passengers were justifiably concerned about needed meds on their checked luggage and learned to carry them on board next time. Finally, one of the clerks walked to carousel 11 where all of the luggage from our flight had been sitting unattended.

MikeA
Video Poker Master

Post by MikeA »

I agree Marie.  Parking is a substantial expense associated with flying and though I have never made the mistake of parking for a week in "short term", I have had one bad experience with parking...sort of anyway.My wife and I had a routine we followed that we had used so many times, it was almost a ritual.  Long Term Parking in Wichita had changed so that there were two options.  The first was to park in the lots that were past the Short Term area.  They were within walking distance though it was a long walk to be taking in the dead of winter while trying to pull two or more suitcases through the snow!  The other option was to park well outside of walking distance and take a shuttle (free other than a $2 toke).  The cost for parking itself was the same.In either case, when we first arrived at the airport, I would drop Verna off at the checkin counter with all the luggage and then drive to the Long Term Parking and either walk or catch a shuttle to the terminal for checkin.Upon arriving back in Wichita after the flight, Verna would go the carousel to snag the luggage while I either caught a shuttle or walked to our vehicle and then would drive it to the curb and wait for Verna to signal me that she had all of out bags...or, I'd switch and watch for the incoming luggage and let Verna go out to the car.The last time I did this, the luggage hadn't arrived and I went inside to grab it and Verna went to the car.  Before she could get to the car, a Security Cop from the Airport had already written and slapped a parking violation on our car and was no where in sight!  He must have had everything on the ticket filled out just waiting for someone to leave their vehicle "unattended".  Seriously, we were both away from the car no more than a minute.  Oh well, we were "guilty" technically, so I paid the $15 parking violation rather than try to fight it.  They do not make it easy!  I do understand why they do not allow unattended vehicles but do allow you to pick up and drop off people.They have since that time put in another parking lot.  A "Telephone" lot that I imagine is there so that people can do what I did except wait in that lot until we receive a phone call indicating that our passenger is ready to be picked up with her 4 suitcases, computer bag, purse and carry-ons!These days, I just go with her to the luggage carousel and we fight the crowds to get our luggage and get to the shuttle!  We do still shake our heads at the blithering Security Cop who is hiding in the shadows with ticket already filled out except for the time and license number from the car he has chosen as his target!

rascal
VP Veteran

Post by rascal »

Commercial aviation has fallen apart completely. I used to fly commercial some and general some, but since 911 I take my own little plane if I have the weather and if I feel confident. This way you can always miss the metro airports where 99.9% of the problems originate. I have never seen commercial aviation in the mess it has become these past five years or so and I have no idea what the future holds, but it is not good. There is an excellent reason why general aviation is booming even in a tough economy....because people are sick and tired of the mess that commerical aviation has become.

MikeA
Video Poker Master

Post by MikeA »

Commercial aviation has fallen apart completely. I used to fly commercial some and general some, but since 911 I take my own little plane if I have the weather and if I feel confident. This way you can always miss the metro airports where 99.9% of the problems originate. I have never seen commercial aviation in the mess it has become these past five years or so and I have no idea what the future holds, but it is not good. There is an excellent reason why general aviation is booming even in a tough economy....because people are sick and tired of the mess that commerical aviation has become.Couldn't agree more Rascal.  I fly Allegiant.  Five years ago, they had good rates and good service.  Then they stopped providing any beverages or snacks on the planes.  You had to buy everything.  Then they stopped providing pillows or blankets.  If you wanted them, you BOUGHT them from the attendants.  Then about a year ago, they started charging $20 a suitcase for checking your baggage.  That has caused a big problem because now, everyone stuffs everything for their trip into carryon sized luggage and everyone has at least one other carryone besides their small suitcase.  You can imagine the problems with stowing the carryon baggage in the overhead racks.  If you can find a place to stuff it, it might be in row 30 while you are sitting in row 12.  Total chaos in boarding and deplaning with everyone fighting to get back to their luggage so they can get off the plane!

marie meijer
Video Poker Master

Post by marie meijer »

Mike, Good description of current carry on snafu. Interesting post, rascal. The attitude of the irate passengers trying to find their luggage was too extreme! Those individuals would not last a day talking in that manner in the work force and if they talk like that to their spouse and kids, they would be labeled abusers! Looks like a case for anger management, to me! Delta is about to charge $50 for extra luggage. My d in law had large illegal size of expensive skin cream. Female TSA officer recognized the label and kindly offered to test it for her, knowing how much that item costs, instead of just tossing it, as another might have done!  

oej719
Video Poker Master

Post by oej719 »

My skin is like a baby's butt and I use no skin cream Marie. Tell her to drink more water and decrease sun exposure and she can have skin like OEJ.

ginxxxx

Post by ginxxxx »

Maybe the airlines will start charging an extra $20 for a temper tantrum......let's just say, $20 for a short tantrum, $30 for the bigger one, $50 for a tantrum that involves airline personnel actually fixing something.  Tantrums would have to be prepaid and scheduled in advance with penalties for late cancellation. Must be 21 or older to participate.

shadowman
Video Poker Master

Post by shadowman »

My skin is like a baby's butt ...

Hopefully, you are referring to the texture ... not the smell.

oej719
Video Poker Master

Post by oej719 »

Yes smooooth.