police radar Help

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
oej719
Video Poker Master

police radar Help

Post by oej719 »

Can someone tell me if a state trooper can clock your speed if he is moving  in the oppsite direction from you on a two lane road.

I got a ticket from a cop on a 2 lane highway and he was traveling south and I was traveling north. I thought they had to be stopped or traveling in the same direction as you to tell your speed.
Should I fight this or pay the fine. I have not had a ticket since I was 17 years old so I am new at this.
Thanks

rascal
VP Veteran

Post by rascal »

There are three main forms of radar used by cops. It depends on the band. Yes, he can be moving and clock you, but my question is whether or not he calibrated the unit before he got you. One of the reasons it is preferred to use it stationary is because they can calibrate it from their stopped position and know that it is accurate for all of their "stops." Using it in the opposite direction while moving "can" work fine, but your defense might be (a) calibration and (b) other traffic close to you at the time of the stop. However, be aware that it is pretty hard to beat traffic tickets. Judges have seen it all, heard it all. It might be better, depending on how many miles you were over the limit, to respectfully ask the judge for prayer for judgment, based on your perfect driving record, and agree to attend traffic school or something to keep it from going on your insurance record. Nowadays it is not the fine that bites as bad as the insurance increase in some states.

MikeA
Video Poker Master

Post by MikeA »

In Kansas, there is an option (I forget what it's called but my son has used it SEVERAL times).  Anyway, the arresting officer has to recommend to the Judge that you should qualify for this option.  If granted, then you pay basically twice the cost of the ticket in court costs, and the offense is forgiven.  You have to go to a school I think for a day and are on probation for 6 months.  If during that 6 month period, you get another ticket, then the original ticket is reactivated and you are then liable for it plus the new ticket and forfeit whatever you paid to get on the "program".

But, at the end of 6 months if you've been a good boy, there is no record of the offense.

knagl
Forum Regular

Post by knagl »

Short answer: yes, he can.

But, don't mail in that check just yet.  It is worth at least going in and talking to someone -- they may reduce your fine (or offer you a deal like MikeA described above) just for going in.  Especially with your good record, it's worth a shot -- all you have to lose is a little bit of your time, but you could gain a lot (by paying a smaller fine, or by not having it show up on your record (and save you from an increased insurance premium)).

philipj
Forum Newbie

Post by philipj »

The patrol officer has to calibrate the radar at the start of each shift,or upon taking over a patrol car.  The radar can work from a stopped position and clock cars comming or going.  With the press of a button the radar will work in the moving mode.  A first radar signal goes out clocking the patrol car speed.  A second signal goes out clocking the speed of an on comming car.  The difference in the radar signals lights up on the officers's radar screen and from that he decides who to stop and/or ticket.

What was the speed zone that you were stoped in?  If is other than a residential 25 mph, or the max posted and state law speed, say 55 mph, you will  have to check with the county clerk, in person, to see if there is a Traffic Saftey Order on file for the area where you were ticketed.  A TSO has to be filed for spees or traffic control signs to be put up, and enforced.

Show up in court for the hearing in a dress shirt and tie, or die.......

oej719
Video Poker Master

Post by oej719 »

what do you mean or die...

philipj
Forum Newbie

Post by philipj »

Go dressed up and show respect.  I watch men come into court with street clothes on trying to look tough and pants hanging arround their butt.  Go dressed and you will  get better results.

oej719
Video Poker Master

Post by oej719 »

Okay. Got it.  Thanks

MikeA
Video Poker Master

Post by MikeA »

That option I couldn't remember in my much earlier post was "Diversion". 

oej719
Video Poker Master

Post by oej719 »

ok my court date is feb 2. I will let you know the outcome.