August Contest Results

Discuss the latest contests, contest strategies, and scores!
SeaChelle
Forum Newbie

Re: August Contest Results

Post by SeaChelle »

Ohhh I am so excited, I came in 87th place!!  I was pretty surprised to see that, given the amount of play the contest generated!Where's my prize  

shadowman
Video Poker Master

Post by shadowman »

Your prize is the knowledge you kicked most our butts.

Webman
Video Poker Master

Post by Webman »

When the top 100 means you beat out 50,542 other sessions, better than 99.2% of the scores, it's certainly something to be proud of.

shadowman
Video Poker Master

Post by shadowman »

Better than 99.8% also.  

Webman
Video Poker Master

Post by Webman »

Well, that's true. But I don't want anyone getting a big head around here. 

SeaChelle
Forum Newbie

Post by SeaChelle »

My new sig....Me - Ohhh I am so excited, I came in 87th place!! I was pretty
surprised to see that, given the amount of play the contest generated!
Where's my prize?
Shadowman - Your prize is the knowledge you kicked most our butts.
Webman - When the top 100 means you beat out 50,542 other sessions, better than 99.2% of the scores, it's certainly something to be proud of.
Shadowman - Better than 99.8% also.
Webman  - Well, that's true. But I don't want anyone getting a big head around here. 

New2vp
Video Poker Master

Post by New2vp »

Average Quick Quads:
1.548 per session
(1 / 387.6 hands)

Normal quads: 1.359 per session
(1 / 441.5 hands)

Combined quads average: 2.907 per session
(1 / 206.4 hands)

It would be interesting to see how the numbers from this contest compare to expected results. My guess would be that the normal quads are fairly close to expected and the quick quads were not hit as often as they could have been with strategy adjustments.

It turns out (per Wizard of Odds’ stats for TB+, DDB, DB, and BP) that QQs account for 67-68% of all quads when using computer perfect-play strategy.  Regular quads should occur less frequently than normal (every 485-494 hands instead of the 416-425 hands that occurs using the conventional strategy for a normally-scored game) since you will often be drawing only a single card going for Quick Quads when dealt trips.  Quick Quads should occur every 230-241 hands depending on the game.  So, it looks like Webman’s hypothesis that people hit fewer Quick Quads than they should have due to not understanding strategy differences is accurate, but using the wrong strategy for Quick Quads actually had people hitting 10-12% more regular quads than they would if they used something closer to computer perfect-play Quick Quads strategy.