FYI - Prolonged Sitting - Please Read

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
marlo

FYI - Prolonged Sitting - Please Read

Post by marlo »

I am posting this message because I think it is important ....

Pro-longed sitting can cause potential blood clotting problems.

I am not a smoker ... During the month of December I work very hard selling on Ebay for Christmas ... then later in the evening I like to play poker ... This means a lot of hours in front of the computer ...

I found it difficult to catch my breath on a Friday .... by Sunday just walking around the block for excerise, I had to stop three times, just to catch my breath.

On Monday went to the doctor and he sent me immediately to the Emergency Room .... after tests were taken I was told that I had multiple blood clots in both lungs ....  I spent an entire week in the hospital hooked up to an I.V. taking herperin and coumadin to break up the blood clots.  It is going to take time to completely do this.

The first thing they asked if I took any long trips ... hours in a plane, which I did not... the only thing I could think of, was all that sitting in front of the computer .....

All the medical staff agreed that every two hours a person should get up and move around for a period of 15 min.

Hope this information is helpful to you ....

Webman
Video Poker Master

Post by Webman »

I sit down most of the day in front of the computer, but I'm definitely up for 15 mins or so every couple hours.

vidopoker

Post by vidopoker »

what does the fact that you sit in front of the computer all day have to do with you not being a smoker?

Webman
Video Poker Master

Post by Webman »

I think that was just a disclaimer since he had blood clots in his lungs... some people might have thought it could have been smoking habits instead?

faygo
Video Poker Master

Post by faygo »

Good caution put out by marlo. Since I have PVD I am well aware of the need to move around. Especially on long car trips  as one doesn't change their seating posistion very often. ( Not good to do while you have your hands on the wheel either). I never go longer then 2 hours before taking a break. Preceding goes for all you Jetsetters too. The clots develop in the legs and travel to the heart or lungs. Keep active folks.
Best wishes for a speedy and full  recovery marlo. Oh, and ask them where the Heparin came from. Some of it was imported from China and has bad effects on folks.

vidopoker

Post by vidopoker »

well, although i love to sit and play vp for as long as possible, I don't think I can classify myself as a "jetsetter." That was funny, Faygo.

shadowman
Video Poker Master

Post by shadowman »

My doctor also recommended a maximum of 2 hours. However, he also provided some ideas for leg exercises in case you can't move around. The main exercise is simply moving your feet up and down. First point your toes out and then up. keep doing this for 5 minutes and it should help. 

marlo

Post by marlo »

It has nothing to do with being a non smoker ... but it just goes to show you that anyone can get these blood clots, even non smokers, if you don't move away from your computer after prolonged sitting.

marlo

Post by marlo »

Thank you for your kind words Faygo .... I'm not concerned about the Heperin as much as I am about the coumadin ... it's "Rat Poison"

marlo

Post by marlo »

The feet exercise sounds good ... will try .... thank you Shadowman

I also bought a new computer chair ...  My husband adjusted my work station by bringing up the keyboard tray .... now I can sit with my legs entirely under the tray with my feet flat on the floor.