Spin Poker (CONTEST) Bonus winners

Discuss the latest contests, contest strategies, and scores!
faygo
Video Poker Master

Re: Spin Poker (CONTEST) Bonus winners

Post by faygo »

[QUOTE=cddenver]
QUOTE]

YOU could have yet another award category for those who are dealt aces w kicker, for 18000 on the one hand, the last day of the contest!

So Marie, nice hit. Just wasn't enough?

marie meijer
Video Poker Master

Post by marie meijer »

cddenver
Video Poker Master

Post by cddenver »

Such language, from a lady! 

New2vp
Video Poker Master

Post by New2vp »

Bonus winners have been posted.I'm curious, did anyone employ a different strategy to try and optimize the number of winning lines, rather than score?
Like cd, I employed a different strategy as well, but I probably didn't play enough to have sufficient chances to achieve that  983+ necessary score.  I'm guessing (by using VPFW's stats for Spin Poker even though I'm certain they are not exactly correct) that even playing the best strategy possible for winning lines, it's about a 1287-1 shot to get a score as high as 983.  My estimate is that the odds are closer to 5800-1 for the top achieved score of 999.Though I cannot recall exactly, I had a 948 that tied for 71st in the first few times I tried this strategy.  Later I beat that mark with a 952, a tie for 50th.  That 952 score was much more likely than the high scores, only on the order of 108-1 odds. Other common plays in a strategy maximizing winning lines were holding 1 or 2 high cards in preference to a low pair, ignoring all 4-card flush and 4-card straight holds, and even tossing 3-card royal holds (in favor of 2 or 3 high cards) unless the royal hold contained 3 high cards.  In the not germane category, I did hit a royal once holding either AKQ or AKJ, but of course that time I wasn't going for a high score (though this was my highest scoring game), and in a contest like this a single royal is not worth much unless it is accompanied elsewhere by a dealt royal.If a significant proportion of people had used this type of strategy, I'm guessing the top 5 scores would have had to be quite a bit higher and the scores I achieved wouldn't have made the top 100.

cddenver
Video Poker Master

Post by cddenver »

Other common plays in a strategy maximizing winning lines were holding 1 or 2 high cards in preference to a low pair, ignoring all 4-card flush and 4-card straight holds, and even tossing 3-card royal holds (in favor of 2 or 3 high cards) unless the royal hold contained 3 high cards. 

I was making those same plays.  Another I was making was dropping suited A/J, suited A/Q, and suited A/K for any Q/J or K/Q.  I never checked to see if those were actually better plays, but I thought the shot at a Straight was better than that for a Flush.

New2vp
Video Poker Master

Post by New2vp »

I was making those same plays.  Another I was making was dropping suited A/J, suited A/Q, and suited A/K for any Q/J or K/Q.  I never checked to see if those were actually better plays, but I thought the shot at a Straight was better than that for a Flush.Your choices worked better than mine.  But my plays were to sometimes favor unsuited QJ over suited AJ or AQ, depending on the other cards. I always played suited AJ, AQ, AK over unsuited KJ,KQ.  I doubt if this produced significantly different results from the approach you took.I didn't recognize any patterns from past hands that helped me to incorporate other decision-making in my strategy!