Strategy for different video poker games?

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
Eduardo
Video Poker Master

Strategy for different video poker games?

Post by Eduardo »

Is the strategy for a hand the same for all video poker games or does it depend on what game you are playing.

For example, would I ever want to hold different cards in Spin Poker than in 100 Play if I was dealt the same cards.

Thanks!!!

details
Forum Regular

Post by details »

multiline video poker games are played the same as if you were playing 1 line ,just play the correct play for that type of game exp. single line j/b has the same math as 3,5,10,50,100 play or super times pay etc...

myth
Forum Newbie

Post by myth »

the above reply didn't deal with spinpoker. I don't think spinpoker needs a different strategy, yet there seems to be something different in the outcomes.

For example, if you choose 9 lines in the game, and hold three Aces in a Jacks or Better game, you'd get at the most one remaining Ace in one of the three rows. This would give you 4-Aces in four of the 9 lines.

Theoretically, in a 9-line game, you "could" get 4 Aces in all the 9 lines.

While this is an obvious difference, it is not as bad as it initially appears to be.

The chance of getting the remaining Ace in one of the six positions in the SpinPoker game is about 13.5%(1 in 47 plus 1 in 46 plus 1 in 45 plus 1 in 44 plus 1 in 43). And this contributes to 4 lines in the game. So the chance of having a four Aces payoff is 4 times that, about 54%

The chance of getting the remaining Ace in each of the 14 multiline hands is 4.3% (1 in 47 plus 1 in 46). So the chance of having a four Aces payoff is 14 times that, or about 60%.

Having said that, I would like someone strong in statistics and probability to confirm my calculations. Until then, don't put too much faith in the numbers.

myth
Forum Newbie

Post by myth »

Correction

I said in the post before, that -

For example, if you choose 9 lines in the game, and hold three Aces in a Jacks or Better game, you'd get at the most one remaining Ace in one of the three rows. This would give you 4-Aces in four of the 9 lines.

That is not correct. You would get 4-Aces in only three of the nine lines.

Eduardo
Video Poker Master

Post by Eduardo »

Many thanks!
The bit on Spin poker has me confused even more which is why I still need to learn more about that game. But from the sound of things I need to play every hand somewhat the same strategy across all game types.

I wonder though, if taking risks to go for a royal for instance would pay off better or worse on 100 play or a game like super times pay. I suppose the payouts are just magnified and the odds the same so you could go broke sooner but also win much much more. But I haven't decided if playing safe or going for a big hand is better on some games than others.

If you go for a royal flush only needing one card on 100 play, you have 100 hands to hit it. In single hand your odds would be so so much lower. But even hitting one royal on hundred play would pay off. So really, the strategy might not be exactly the same or am I thinking about this the wrong way?

It would take a long time to get 100 chances at only needing one card for a royal 100 on single hand video poker. But you can have 100 chances at once in 100 play. Should that factor into your strategy?

Mr. Aces
Forum Rookie

Post by Mr. Aces »

Lots of people wonder about strategy on multi-hand versus single hand games.

In the multi-hand games, each and every hand comes from a completely independent deck. Therefore, the strategy empployed is exactly the same on all the games.

If you hold three cards, each deck has 47 remaining cards left so your odds of hitting a quad are 1 in 23. So each hand, no matter how many hands has exactly the same odds to hit as any other hand.

In 100 Play, it is really fun to watch theoretical math at work as you should, on average, get 4 quads on every three-of-a-kind hold on 100 Play. However, it really bites when you get less than that! Same as when you gt 4 to a flush in Triple Play and it sems like they NEVER convert!

Eduardo
Video Poker Master

Post by Eduardo »

Yes but on a rare hand you have 100 chances to hit in 100 play instead of just one. It will pay big even if you only hit one of the many hands. So isn't it better to go for a long shot on a multi-hand game than on a single hand?

Ohio Bob
Forum Regular

Post by Ohio Bob »

For me the thrill of multi hand games is the dealt hand..a dealt full house on 100 play... quads on 50 play makes my heart go pitter pat! That said I watched my wife draw with 4 to the Royal on a 100 play and not hit one Royal. And a moment later I held A Q suited and hit two royals..I still have the bruises *LOL*

Eduardo
Video Poker Master

Post by Eduardo »

And a moment later I held A Q suited and hit two royals..I still have the bruises *LOL*
Good story!

kbrouill
Forum Newbie

Post by kbrouill »

One game that has a different strategy is MultiStrike. In MultiStrike, you get an added benefit at the lower levels by moving up to the next level. The goal is always to get to the next level. So, sometimes, at the 1x and 2x levels, you will play differently from the 4x and 8x levels. At the 8X level, you always play the same as single hand poker, because there is no level above you, you can't go up.

MultiStrike strategy is very different from single hand, or even multi hand (3/5/10/50/100/spin) strategy.

An example:

The hand Ad Kc 5h 5s 2c

At the 1x and 2x levels, the best play statistically is to hold the Ad and Kc, but at the 4x and 8x levels, the best play is to hold the two 5s.

If you are going to play Multi-Strike, you should defintely practice with the Multi-Strike free trial trainer that is on this site.