suggestion for a contest

Discuss the latest contests, contest strategies, and scores!
edog743
Video Poker Master

suggestion for a contest

Post by edog743 »

it would be rather than having a contest to where the highest score wins. Have a contest where you accumulate your score at the end highest accumulated score wins. secondary prizes would be awarded to the highest daily winners. also restrict the contest to one paytable one game etc. that way in essence the cream would rise to the top. then we would find out who is the creamiest so to speak....  let me know what you think. our great and powerful webman

shadowman
Video Poker Master

Post by shadowman »

I think your idea has possibilities. Would probably need to limit the games to single line and place some limit on the number of rounds. Most people can't play continuously but a few could. I don't think it's necessary to limit it to one game since most of the games have returns that are pretty close.

So, great and powerful wizard (aka webman), do you already have something like this up your sleeve? ;)

edog743
Video Poker Master

Post by edog743 »

limiting it one paytable is the main intent of my suggestion so nobody has anything to complain about. the contest would be a cumulative contest within a daily one. so nobody could grouse about the score they got on day three of the contest. saying it will never win when they could win the daily prize with that score. so what say you great and all knowing webman you.

Webman
Video Poker Master

Post by Webman »

I like it. The biggest problem with a cumulative total is that it eliminates anyone who is not able to invest at least 6-8 hours in a day to play the game. Unfortunately, that means it might only be fun for a small portion of the audience. Some people are only able to play 1 or 2 times in a week. Others play a lot (really a lot) more than that. But there's probably a workable answer.With that in mind, I think shadowman's added suggestion of limited rounds is good.Other past suggestions have been adding up your top 5 scores, or perhaps throwing out your very best score and taking the next 4 (to take those miracle rounds out of the equation, unless you're lucky enough to get it twice).I think all of these are good ideas to mix it up. However, I hate to punish those with the miracle hands. When they do come along, they should be rewarded.Any other ideas/thoughts are certainly welcome.

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

To me, the most meaningful contest of all would be one that evaluates player play versus "perfect' strategy, and awards prizes on that basis.

Webman
Video Poker Master

Post by Webman »

To me, the most meaningful contest of all would be one that evaluates player play versus "perfect' strategy, and awards prizes on that basis.We thought of this as well, but what's to keep someone from having other training software open at the same time they play? Perhaps with a time limit that would make looking up hands difficult...

edog743
Video Poker Master

Post by edog743 »

I smell what you are cooking oh great and powerful webman.How about this take your top five scores for the day.Then your bottom five for the day add them up divide by ten then you have an average for the day highest average wins. which would prevent people from quiting after fifty hands and starting over again. secondary prize would remain highest daily score. keep it restricted to one paytable. that way if someone hits a homerun they are still rewarded.

Armadillo
Forum Newbie

Post by Armadillo »

I would suggest going with an average of all the sessions played by an individual...highest average score wins with a minimum number of sessions required. Some of these score are hitting freak of nature scores. Nearly 3 dealt Royals in 200 hands. I've been playing these monthly tournaments for over a year and I have NEVER had a dealt Royal and only once had 4 aces with the low kicker dealt. It's hard to understand how scores get so high.

lblmhgo
Forum Rookie

Post by lblmhgo »

Webman, we all love all the contest that you offer us . Although some do whine alot, we are all still here even at the last moments just plugging away.
Great job guys and thanks

Webman
Video Poker Master

Post by Webman »

I like the idea of an average as well. However, if someone gets a good score early on, it encourages them to quit right away or at the minimum required sessions. If the minimum was 5 sessions and you had one great score in there, the odds of anyone catching them would go down considerably. Once you'd played 20 or 30 sessions even a great score wouldn't help your average enough to matter.Maybe there's a variation on this that would work. Perhaps the average of your own top 5 scores?We are a little hesitant to make a required number of sessions because while some people have a whole lot of time to play on the site, a very large number of people only play a couple sessions in a week. If it were for the Bonus prize, then it may not matter as much.