Learn From This Strategy Lesson

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
MikeA
Video Poker Master

Re: Learn From This Strategy Lesson

Post by MikeA »

I think you may be confusing my post(bigboy) with another poster(babybubba).

Bigboy,

I was actually replying to Rob's post since he quoted my "initial post" but it was evident that you also saw it bigboy.  My apologies for the near heartattack I almost caused .  I thought the 27 vs 22 or whatever it was on the three Queens was hard to swallow.  I reexamined the analysis and saw that I'd mixed the hold up with another hold for that same hand.

Rob,

This brings up a point that I've found true for me.  Video Poker strategy is difficult for me to master in comparrison to Blackjack.  I have a memory that is not the best for this type of game (speaking of VP). 

With Blackjack, I committed the Basic Strategy for one particular set of rules to memory by forming a mental "strategy card" complete with it's color coding.  Early in my career of BJ, I would "pull" that card up in my memory to resolve the more difficult decisions such as what to do when you have a soft-hand and the dealer has a potential double-down card showing.  The strategy card sort of stairsteps from soft 18 down to soft 13 as to which cards you should double down against.  My memory I guess could be described as "graphic" in functionality.

When adding on deviations because of changes in table rules or number of decks for that BJ game I first comitted to memory, I just mentally made the necessary adjustments to my "virtual" strategy card.

VP doesn't lend itself to that sort of imagery.  There are just too many actions based on a lot more variables in VP.  The only way I could become adept at the game was to practice it and make the mistakes over and over again on my computer.  The simulator halts with a warning when those mistakes are made.  Eventually, I got to the point that I was making fewer and fewer mistakes, but the learning curve for me was enormous and never did I try to memorize any kind of chart, graphic or otherwise.  I honestly do not think I am capable of that type memory.

This is one point Rob, that I think you should consider.  Possibly I am the only person on the Planet with problems with memorization but I rather doubt it.  You might consider producing a software simulation for your methods.  I've seen mention that there are 1700 non-standard deviations in your methodology.  Maybe most can master that memorization task but I for one would never be able to do it, especially considering the limited amount of time I devote to VP.  Just a suggestion.

By the way, the storm I mentioned that hit Greensberg last night was responsible for 7 deaths.  Unfortunately, the conditions are once again in place in such a way that it is not unlikely that the same scenario could very easily develop in that same part of the State both this afternoon and Tomorrow!  What a mess.  There just isn't much left of most of the buildings in the town.  They are saying that the storm was easily 1 mile wide based on the path of destruction through Greensberg.  It then grew to closer to 2 miles wide shortly after heading Northeast out of the small city.

Webman
Video Poker Master

Post by Webman »

Tornado discussion moved here:
http://www.videopoker.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=439

Carry on relevant discussion.