political comments and discussions

Comments and suggestions about VideoPoker.com
Frank Kneeland
VP Veteran

Re: political comments and discussions

Post by Frank Kneeland »

If it leads to other types of infractions (profanity, name-calling etc) then we will address those issues when they happen. I think it's possible for people to have civil discussions about it, though I understand that talking about other subjects would avoid conflict.  If you don't want to get into a political discussion, ignore those comments and resist commenting back. Sometimes we just have to agree to disagree, though it's easy to get sucked in.
This might interest everyone. Current research in the behavioral sciences puts the percentage of how much our genes effect political affiliation at 41%. Further, religous affliation can be predicted with 44% accuracy. Not what religion you belong to, merely that you are likely to believe in something. Theist over non-theist. And this can now be predicted at birth based on specific genetic markers with a 44% accuracy over chance.It is believed that these behavioral trends have their root in several things: how people perceive uncertainty, plan for the future, their criteria for truth, their predispositions towards Type I or Type II errors, etc...Environment is still the largest factor, but even this should surprise people, because it means what people believe to be true can be effected by what they are taught. This is known as belief dependent realism. In a perfect world truth should be immutable and inviolate. That it isn't is a harsh reminder of just how imperfect our world is.What's important to take away from this information is that people who disagree on key points may do so for genetic differences in how they perceive the world so agreement may not be possible. The trick to empathy and civil discussion is understanding not only what the other side thinks, but how and why.References: Why People Believe Weird Things & The Believing Brain by Michael Shremer.  The Political Mind by George Lakoff. The Political Brain by Drew WestenStudies into the genetics of religion: Niels Waller, Thomas BouchardSimilar larger studies done in Australia confirmed the results.~FK

BillyJoe
Video Poker Master

Post by BillyJoe »

[QUOTE=Webman] If it leads to other types of infractions (profanity, name-calling etc) then we will address those issues when they happen.

I think it's possible for people to have civil discussions about it, though I understand that talking about other subjects would avoid conflict.  If you don't want to get into a political discussion, ignore those comments and resist commenting back. Sometimes we just have to agree to disagree, though it's easy to get sucked in.

This might interest everyone.

~FK
[/QUOTE]
Sorry, Frank - you are wrong; I wasn't interested..

Just kidding, of course. ALL knowledge is interesting to me. But does my first response mean I have a 'kidder' gene, and I am predisposed to humor?.. That WOULD explain a lot in my behavior.

Frank Kneeland
VP Veteran

Post by Frank Kneeland »

[QUOTE=Frank Kneeland] [QUOTE=Webman] If it leads to other types of infractions (profanity, name-calling etc) then we will address those issues when they happen. I think it's possible for people to have civil discussions about it, though I understand that talking about other subjects would avoid conflict.  If you don't want to get into a political discussion, ignore those comments and resist commenting back. Sometimes we just have to agree to disagree, though it's easy to get sucked in. This might interest everyone. ~FK[/QUOTE]
Sorry, Frank - you are wrong; I wasn't interested..

Just kidding, of course. ALL knowledge is interesting to me. But does my first response mean I have a 'kidder' gene, and I am predisposed to humor?.. That WOULD explain a lot in my behavior. [/QUOTE]No, but it means you might have the gene for selective attention. I did say, "might".OK and now I'm kidding. I hope you liked it.I've been taking a little extra time on my posts to list my references lately, so people know where I'm getting my information. There seems to be a tendency for people to think everything is personal opinion on forums even if one quotes well researched science. I hope that people will use the references and look up anything they question. And I hope people will correct me on anything I miss-quote. I'm not perfect and never said I was.I always appreciate it when someone points out an error I've made. It's how I learn.The day we stop learning is the day we die.~FK

shadowman
Video Poker Master

Post by shadowman »

Frank, one thing you might want to keep in mind ... 80% of all peer reviewed papers are found to have serious errors within 25 years. So, just 'cause it's written by someone with letters after their name does not predict correctness.

PS. The study that led to this conclusion was peer reviewed.

Frank Kneeland
VP Veteran

Post by Frank Kneeland »

Frank, one thing you might want to keep in mind ... 80% of all peer reviewed papers are found to have serious errors within 25 years. So, just 'cause it's written by someone with letters after their name does not predict correctness.

PS. The study that led to this conclusion was peer reviewed.I have reviewed what you said and can find no fault with it.