The Mint Julep

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
Minn. Fatz
VP Veteran

The Mint Julep

Post by Minn. Fatz »

There is no magic, no mystique to the mint julep. It is merely a little simple syrup, a bit of mint flavor, a glassful of ice and a great big slug of booze. You may write poems and paeans to it; extol the virtues of different varieties, combinations and amounts of fresh-picked mint leaves; specify to any desired exactness the ideal size of the ice fragments, the precise alloys of the perfect muddling spoon, or the proper size, shape, composition and ornamentation of the julep cup.
But the plain fact of the matter is that a great big slug of bourbon, dumped into that much ice and topped with a little sweet, aromatic flavoring, is going to taste about the same out of a silver chalice, a Styrofoam cup, or a porcelain pisspot. You could probably dissolve half a Life Saver in there and spare yourself the effort of combing through the Kentucky bluegrass for those perfect sprigs of mint that all the gentlemen and ladies waste so much ethanol-scented breath over.
The mint julep is merely an older generation’s version of the Jell-o shooter: a quick, socially acceptable way to get nubile, willing young things drunk. Sure, the better the bourbon the smoother the first few sips, and it’s just that much classier to use the silver service. But after their lips and tongues have gone numb from the alcohol they won’t mind. And given any luck neither will you.

babybubba

Post by babybubba »

The better the bourbon the better the MJ. I always use JD Single Barrel.

Eduardo
Video Poker Master

Post by Eduardo »

What is the difference between scotch and bourbon and whiskey?

Eduardo
Video Poker Master

Post by Eduardo »

The better the bourbon the better the MJ. I always use JD Single Barrel.What is MJ? "Mind Job?"

Minn. Fatz
VP Veteran

Post by Minn. Fatz »

MJ = Mint Julep. JB = Jim Beam. Lately I've been using Old Forester 100 proof as a julep base. My favorite bourbon for straight drinking however is Elijah Craig out of Bardstown. I especially enjoy the chocolate notes and the distinctive taste of their proprietary yeast strain.
"Whisky" or "whiskey" can refer to any spirit distilled from various blends of corn (maize to our European friends), barley and rye malts. "Bourbon" must be at least 50 percent corn and must be aged in new oak barrels, which may be charred. "Scotch" is only made in Scotland but is generally mostly distilled from barley malts. "Irish" whiskey (with an e) is only made in Ireland; the malt is dried over an open peat fire which imparts a distinctive flavor.
The derivation of the word is from the Scots "uisge beatha" meaning "water of life;" compare "aqua vitae," "aquavit," etc.

oej719
Video Poker Master

Post by oej719 »

The better the bourbon the better the MJ. I always use JD Single Barrel.

The fine advice from a professional consumer.

Gulp, gulp, gulp. Honey could you bring me some more ice and that bottle of JD, I am afraid I might fall if I try to get up from this computer. After I have a couple more swallows I am jogging 3 miles. Gulp, gulp, gulp.
I just allow myself 2 drinks a day, but they are pretty good size depending on where I am in relationship to reaching my goal. That is why people fear me and I am in this good of solid physical shape.
Excuse me if I am slurring, honey can you bring me the medication bottle I got a headache and just a little more ice again, thank you .