How about a recreational player forum?

Comments and suggestions about VideoPoker.com
FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

How about a recreational player forum?

Post by FloridaPhil »

I think this website could use  a recreational player's forum.  The interests, goals and strategies of professionals and weekend players are completely different.   I've noticed that some posters seem pretty intimidated by highly technical strategy answers and I'm sure pros are tired of answering the same beginner questions over and over again.  Think about it.  Thanks!

Webman
Video Poker Master

Post by Webman »

i like the idea, but I'm really not sure how it would be implemented. Would the idea be to actually prohibit "professional" discussion in the topics dedicated to recreation alone? I'm not sure people clearly fall into one of these two categories... while the professional players may stand out on their own, I think a lot of players blur those lines, playing recreationally but wanting to improve their play in ways that only professional advice can actually help. So I would worry that we'd end up with a situation where there is a lot of speculation, and people would actually get offended when someone with knowledge of the situation interjects a comment. Which is pretty much what we have now. I guess I just don't see how to reasonably make this happen without things getting very muddy very quickly about what should be designated where.I think that everyone's comments should be welcomed or ignored equally, and if a "professional" chimes in, take it for what it's worth to you. I agree that the constant debates between people with different objectives can get tiresome. Some topics are clearly "recreational' topics already, and if a "pro" feels the need to chime in, that's their right, just as it's everyone else's to listen to what they say or just move on. Actually prohibiting professional advice would seem like a bad idea for all parties, just as banning any talk of playing for recreation would be.Some people on both sides have a hard time understanding that there are people who play the game for a different reason than they do.Having rambled on about that, I'd love to hear more people's thoughts. If the idea is to be able to post freely without "worrying" about what Bob Dancer or other experts have to say, then I guess it could be explored. We would certainly not prohibit anyone from posting there, but perhaps the intent would be enough that peopel would more easily ignore topics that are not directed at them?

edog743
Video Poker Master

Post by edog743 »

I think what Phil is getting at is a tamed down version to where if a person ask's a question on here they get a short answer. Not a thesis on the subject muddied up with a lot of stat's they truly don't give a rat's behind about. They just want a yes or no if you will.

Webman
Video Poker Master

Post by Webman »

The only problem with that, is that some questions may seem like a "yes or no" to the one asking it, when the correct answer is much more complicated.For example, someone may ask "Should I hold the ten in this hand?"They may want a yes or no. But either answer would be incorrect without finding out what game they are playing, what the pay table is, etc. They may not appreciate the answer (or questions) that they receive, but it's necessary.Obviously that is the most simplified example I can think of. But I think we would find it hard to determine where to draw lines.Perhaps simply designating the forum are as suggested would let people know whether their opinion would be appreciated or not. But it would seem wrong to encourage ignorance based on the desire for a simpler answer.I guess I'm in the privileged  position of understanding and appreciating both "sides" of this issue. I don't take the time to read a New2VP novel if it's a topic that doesn't interest me. But I appreciate that he puts the time into it for those who are. Likewise, I appreciate people who play primarily for entertainment, with the knowledge that they may not be getting 100% of what they could out of the game, but get more than they want in having a good time and winning some money on occasion, with comps along the way.I personally fall into the latter category, knowing I have not mastered the game completely and don't play often enough to fully realize the benefits, but I always appreciate any knowledge that can make my game better, whether I choose to accept it or not.We've had some great contributors in the past such as Frank Kneeland and shadowman, whose view of the game seems more like work to me than entertainment, to me. And if that is good for them, I'm all for it. When they comment, I can easily see it as a "shadowman" or "Frank" comment, and categorize it in my mind accordingly. As a result, I learn a great deal, but still chart my own course.People feel the need to debate things at times that they would be better off letting go of. I think there is room in every topic for both a recreation and professional opinion.

BillyJoe
Video Poker Master

Post by BillyJoe »

Maybe just a new subject line on the existing Forum, like 'Playing VP as Recreation'.

New2vp
Video Poker Master

Post by New2vp »

I think what Phil is getting at is a tamed down version to where if a person ask's a question on here they get a short answer. Not a thesis on the subject muddied up with a lot of stat's they truly don't give a rat's behind about. They just want a yes or no if you will.No! 

Webman
Video Poker Master

Post by Webman »

Shortest. New2vp post. Ever.

BobDancer
Video Poker Master

Post by BobDancer »

Shortest. New2vp post. Ever.Two letters. One punction mark and one emoticon. I'm betting he can find a way to get shorter yet!

davidearl

Post by davidearl »

33.3333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333%    shorter than yes     Dave  

New2vp
Video Poker Master

Post by New2vp »

33.3333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333%    shorter than yes     Dave   Approximately!