Back to Deuces....

The lighter side... playing for entertainment, less concerned about "the math."
FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Back to Deuces....

Post by FloridaPhil »

I got totally bored with my DDB single coin quarter play and decided to go back to my weird deuces double up strategy last week.   You guys will think this is crazy, but it works better than anything else I've tried.  It's an easy system to play, lots of fun, allows you to play a long time on a small budget and hits big once in a while.  In this system you play single coin deuces and go to max coins every time you win 4 coins of more. If you don't win on a hand, you return to single coin play.  I play $20 at a time and cash out on every win of $50 or more.  I played for 4 hours last Saturday and was down about $100.  I won 4 coins, hit the max coin button and up popped 4 deuces straight up for a $500 jackpot. The machine continued to run up and I walked away up about $600 for the day.  I've hit a bunch of $1,000 quad deuces that way, but you can lose a bunch of money if you play $1 a coin and don't hit a quad deuce or Royal.Life is good, at least for this week... 

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Hi Phil. I also got bored with the 1 coin games at least for now and have been playing a lot of Deuces Wild myself. Since the quads on deuces hit quite often, I use them also in a progression. Mine is kind of the opposite of yours and it is one of my Martingale clone methods. I love to use it on 100 play penny machines where I can change the denomination from 1 cent to 5 then 10 then 25 cents if needed. As you know the quads pay 4 so I start with 1 line at one cent. When I am down a net of 4, I go up 4 units to 5 cents. If I don't quads there in 4 losses, I go up 4 more spaces to 9 cents and so on. I also back down the bets accordingly when quads or better hit. You can also last a long time with this method and hopefully hit quad deuces when you have a higher bet. So far, I haven't had to go to the quarter level. I only have to win a few hands at the higher level usually to exceed my highest credit number for that session and in that case, I start all over with 1 cent. I don't ever worry about getting the Royal playing this way and quite often will just keep the deuce and toss 2 cards to a straight flush even though the math is against it. Like you say, lots of fun. Deuces is still my favorite game. I like joker kings too, but if that 1 joker isn't coming in much you are screwed.

FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Post by FloridaPhil »

I'm happy to hear someone else is playing this way.  I've tried all kinds of systems over the years and nothing seems to be as much fun as this method. I've tried it with non-wild card games and it doesn't work well. Deuces is a game with a lot of short runs, both up and down.  When it's down your playing mostly single coin, when it's up you're playing more max coins.  Things can stink for 10-15 minutes, then all of a sudden you hit a decent run and you're back in business.  I've had winning days where I never got a quad deuce or a Royal.  It happens when a couple of Royal w. Deuces show up real close.   I usually have a session budget of about $250.   I start out playing .50 a coin.  If I hit a max coin quad deuce, I go to dollars.  I have yet to hit a max coin Royal doing this, but have had more than a few $1,500 days.  Nothing works all the time, but this comes closer than most.  I really don't care about Royals anymore.  I've hit lots of them in the past 10 years and I don't think they happen often enough to warrant max coin play on a negative expectation game.  I let them happen and if I win $125 it's a good thing.