Multi-Strike

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
NY DODGER
Forum Newbie

Multi-Strike

Post by NY DODGER »

DUECES WILD----  AT WHICH LINE-IF ANY- DO WE HOLD TWO PAIR?

Eduardo
Video Poker Master

Post by Eduardo »

I do not know why you would ever not hold 2 pair? 

NY DODGER
Forum Newbie

Post by NY DODGER »

TWO PAIR IS NOT A WINNER IN DUECES WILD. IF YOU HOLD 2 PAIR, SAY 2-8'S AND 2 6'S -THE ONLY THING THAT WILL HELP YOU WIN IS A 8 OR 6 OR A 2 WHICH IS ONLY 9 CARDS............IF YOU SAVE ONLY ONE PAIR- SAY YOUR 6'S, YOU OPEN UP THE 3 SLOTS FOR EITHER 2 MORE 6'S, ALL YOUR 2'S OR ANY COMBO OF NUMBERS.....I AM FAR FROM BEING AND EXPERT, BUT I HAVE READ ARTICLES IN SLOT-PLAYER MAGAZINE THAT STRESS THIS STRATEGY FOR MOST DUECES WILD GAMES. AT FIRST I DID NOT AGREE, BUT NO I DO . I JST WONDER WHAT THE STRATEGY IS IN MULTISTRIKE- AS YOU WANT TO MAKE YOUR TRIPS UP THE ROWS........

Eduardo
Video Poker Master

Post by Eduardo »

Oh sorry.  Great point. I wasn't thinking about the no payout for two pair in deuces wilds.To get up the rows you just need some sort of a payout early on I think so you want to hold whatever gives you the best odds of paying anything whatsoever, not always the best odds for a big win.Good question I'm sure someone here has some better ideas than me. I didn't fully understand but I see what you are asking now.

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

I hardly ever play Multi-Strike but good luck to those who do.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Strategy is very tricky. Goes against the normal holds in many cases.

New2vp
Video Poker Master

Post by New2vp »

Hey Ted, I didn't recall seeing this question before. Then I realized that the prior posts were made the day before I joined the forum (and 3 weeks before you signed up), though I had joined videopoker.com 13 months earlier.

Eduardo has gotten more vp-savvy over the years and might have had a different answer today. Although, I recall at that time he seemed to be trying to provoke others to join in the commenting more.

I don't know if NY DODGER is still around, but there are at least a couple instances when keeping the two pair in deuces wild is preferred in Multi-Strike. On the 4th level and with Free Rides, you would keep two pair when playing what some refer to as "44" Deuces games, those where both four of a kind and a full house pay 4 per coin (or 20 on a 5-coin bet).

Even though you need to improve to a full house to get any payment, this hold is just like holding a 4-card open-ended straight in a jacks or better or bonus game that pays 20 coins for a straight. In both instances, 8 of the remaining 47 cards in the deck produce a 20-coin winner. With 99665, discarding the 5 lets you improve to a full house with any of the 2 remaining 9s, 2 remaining 6s or any of the 4 deuces.

Eduardo
Video Poker Master

Post by Eduardo »

:lol:

Wow, this goes way back to when I knew almost nothing about the game. Who would have thought Deuces would become my game of choice over the years.

I have over that time, fortunately, learned that there are times you do not hold 2 pair. :lol:

damule
VP Veteran

Post by damule »

Seeing the replies in this thread just brought me back to 2008 :lol:

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

As long as we are still on the general subject, on Double bonus Deuces Wild, ( 20/9 ) I have been holding a lone Deuce in hopes of moving up in lines instead of say Deuce 7,8 in the same suit when dealt on line one. I don’t play it much and only on nickels, but if the above is not correct, someone please let me know. Thanks.