New 15 game format: two cheers

Discuss the latest contests, contest strategies, and scores!
Minn. Fatz
VP Veteran

New 15 game format: two cheers

Post by Minn. Fatz »

I find myself concurring in part and dissenting in part with wcc2's post here.

It takes me an average 5 minutes to play 100 hands of triple play, so 75 minutes for the maximum 15 games allowed. That's a lot of time out of an evening.

At the same time I've gotten involved in the online table poker site from here; these games (at step 9 where I am now) take an average of about 3 hours to play. I'm trying to play every other day but can't even stick to that schedule given, well, I have a life...

My dissent is that allowing players to play more games takes some of the element of luck (read: variance) out of the mix and makes the single-variation Winners Challenge more of a test of VP skill.

So, two cheers for the new format; but if something in my online schedule has to give I think it's going to be the daily contests/winners challenge -- particularly as I have my TC entry for January.

Nothing at all to do with a disappointing 4 points out of 15 from today's DB 9/7 with Quick Quads of course.

wcc2
Forum Rookie

Post by wcc2 »

Five minutes for 100 hands: That's fast--and a lot better than I can do, esp. in anything other than vanilla games (e.g., 100-hand, Deal/Draw, Super Times, etc., etc.). And, of course, to play the maximum number of rounds each day should mean playing around 21-25 rounds per day (assuming about 33% winning rounds). If you're on, say, 100-hand, where 15 minutes is fast, that's 5-6 hours.So the format favors the fanatics, who are also most likely to be gold members. Last time I looked 9 of 10 current leaders for most-winning-rounds are gold members. (Oops. It's currently down to 7 of 10, but it's also only halfway through the "month." And you rarely see 7 of 10 gold among the daily top 10.) Fine by me: I think they're kvetching less about not getting enough value for their money.

edog743
Video Poker Master

Post by edog743 »

You actually would be thinking wrong as far as this GOLD member is concerned.

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

Kvetching? Is this a Yiddish thing? New York maybe? Can someone please translate this into Chicago Irish?

I agree with edog regarding the balance of Gold members in the contest leaderboards.

damule
VP Veteran

Post by damule »

Fatz, thanks for this thread. I've been thinking of starting a similar one.

My wife is beginning to hate the fact that I'm on this website 3-4 hours a day competing in the daily contest. I still work full time as well, so playing 15 100-hand sessions a day plus the bonus sessions is becoming too much. I have a suggestion that hopefully other members will support and maybe webman can make adjustments.

I do like that only one game type (eg: triple double bonus, deuces wild, etc) is available each day. This does put the competition on more level ground. What I would like to see change is the number of sessions per day. I liked the original format where if you play 5 you get an extra 3. Take this original format and add the winning sessions as extra bonus sessions and I think the time dedicated to this site each day will be more tolerable.

Edited to add: For a wrinkle, maybe if you play 8 sessions in one day you're rewarded 2 more. But anything more than that, in my opinion, is too much.

I'm sure like Fatz and myself, there are many other players on this site who are beginning to think about giving up competing in the daily contests due to the time needed to compete in the winners challenge

Galeygoo
VP Veteran

Post by Galeygoo »

[QUOTE=Tedlark]Kvetching? Is this a Yiddish thing? New York maybe? Can someone please translate this into Chicago Irish?

Oy Vay....  With a name like Ted, my guess would've been Chicago Polish, not Chicago Irish....Cheers.....

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

[QUOTE=Tedlark]Kvetching? Is this a Yiddish thing? New York maybe? Can someone please translate this into Chicago Irish?

Oy Vay....  With a name like Ted, my guess would've been Chicago Polish, instead of Chicago Irish....Cheers.....

Thats a laugh; you called me Polish? And this coming from a woman who starts her car "manually?"

Ted is short for Theodore, Polish would be Teodor.

Galeygoo
VP Veteran

Post by Galeygoo »

[QUOTE=Galeygoo][QUOTE=Tedlark]Kvetching? Is this a Yiddish thing? New York maybe? Can someone please translate this into Chicago Irish?

Oy Vay....  With a name like Ted, my guess would've been Chicago Polish, instead of Chicago Irish....Cheers.....

Thats a laugh; you called me Polish? And this coming from a woman who starts her car "manually?"

Ted is short for Theodore, Polish would be Teodor.[/QUOTE]
What woud it be in Latin? 

Webman
Video Poker Master

Post by Webman »

This is most likely the last month there will be a 15 game maximum.

damule
VP Veteran

Post by damule »

This is most likely the last month there will be a 15 game maximum.