More Cheap Video Poker

The lighter side... playing for entertainment, less concerned about "the math."
FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Re: More Cheap Video Poker

Post by FloridaPhil »

Sounds like you are having fun.   That's why I got into this thing in the first place.  I just got tired of dumping money into the machines each week and coming home with the same results 90% of the time.   Coming back via a short run of good hands is very common.  I've tried a number of twists on this strategy and they all change the game a little.  Right now, I'm starting with single coin $.50 instead of quarters.  The $.50 Deuces odds at the Hard Rock are over 2% better, so it makes sense. 

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

You know you are having fun when playing 10 hours seems like 2. . I am going to paractice a little more on this site before my next trip. Will have to get the calculator out to keep track the way I play since the site will not let you play more than 5 coins at a time. I hope Mohegan keeps the machines that let you bet up to 25 coins. That has saved me many times, but has also ruined me more than a few. When they first opened, the vp machines let you bet up to 80 units. Martingale players with big budgets were killing them on the quarter games. On the 2 cent games you could bet up to 100 units. I killed them on those games too many years ago using the martingale clone method and never got wiped out for the day that I can remember. They yanked out those machines a few years ago. They will never be put back into service. It was so easy to make gas money on those 2 cent machines that let you bet up to 100 and the odds were in the 97% range. They also had a one eyed jacks game in that bank of machines that I loved even though the strategy was difficult. I can't find it in Ct. anymore. Have a good week. I will report back after the next trip to Mohegan.

FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Post by FloridaPhil »

Isn't it great to play all that time and still have money?    I'm playing at least 6-7 hours a day now and still walking out with something.   I've seen more Royals in the last 6 months than I saw in the last 3 years and quad deuces are getting to be kind of common.  That's what happens when you play 6,000 hands a day. 

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Hi Phil. I caught deuces quads early last night on regular deuces wild with 5 in and was up close to 200- using your method with a little of mine thrown in. Unfortunately, I decided to go for a big hit on Double Down Stud Deuces Wild. Played the same way, but it didn't work so good. The machine was ice cold. Kissed the 2 bills goodbye plus 2 more, but still better than the way I usually play. I could have left up some and just hung out at the bar, took a long walk, or watched a movie upstairs, but you know how that goes. I actually had 2 chances at a real Royal on Double Down Stud with 5 in. When doubled, that would have been good for 5 grand if one hit. Oh well, it didn't. Did get to try a new to me beer on tap though that I liked. Goose Island IPA. Stands for Indian Pale Ale. Also had fun which is the name of the game and still had a few worms left in the box for the next fishing trip.

PS...Vman have you tried the IPA yet?

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Hi Phil and gang. I am going to back burner the Phil method for now, not because it cost too much which it didn't, but because the flip flop hits were driving me crazy. Seems like almost everytime I went to max bet based on a hit of 4 or more, I got a dud, but when I went back to single coin play, I would hit something good on the next hand or the one after that. I played this way at least 5 sessions. I know that isn't long enough, but the mental part was getting to me. This method will be good for many folks with a very limited budget myself included most of the time. I am going to continue to play mostly Deuces Wild games of various types, and will start with single coin play and not up my bet until I need to bet more than 1 coin to be even should the quad Deuces appear. Unlike my Royal track record which is awful, I have observed the deuces quads coming in right on schedule for a couple of years now. I think this method will work well for me for now. The only thing I will have to remember and write down is the following....If I am at the end of my session and have not hit deuces quads which does happen sometimes, I have to remember where I was money wise and how many coins I was playing. For instance, if I had lost 200 units net and had begun betting 2 coins, my next session or trip will start at that 2 coin level. Hopefully, it won't have any awful streaks like my no Royals or it won't work and bust the budget. In that sense, it is sort like playing the Phil method of single coin play, with a different criteria on upping your bet. If I happen to catch a Royal, or Deuces with a kicker, I will have a nice win for the day. Otherwise, most of the wins will be small, but that is better as Phil says than going broke on every trip. I will post how this works probably here since it is somewhat like the Phil method. Good luck to all...Olds...

FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Post by FloridaPhil »

Here's an alternative method that might work better for you.  Start with $20 and stay with single coin play until the counter reads $25 or more, then switch to max coins. If you drop below $20 switch back to single coin.  When my budget allows, I play this way with $.50 or $1s and I've had some of my best hits that way. $20 lasts longer at single coin than you would think.   I can't afford to play max coin dollars all the time, so this works for me and there's nothing wrong with a $250 single coin Royal.

There's absolutely no relationship between the last hand and the next. It doesn't matter when you switch to max coins just as long as you do it on a consistant basis.  Good luck.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Hi Phil. I have tried something else that works well on the Phil method of upping your bet to 5 when your single coin hit is 4 or more. I know there is a long term math penalty for this, but sometimes when dealt a single deuce and you hold two cards to a straight flush with 0 or 1 gap or even 3 to a wild royal with one deuce dealt, they just won't come in all day long. I have much better results in managing and keeping my money for the session by just holding the lone deuce. I get many more 4 of a kinds that way allowing the next bet to be 5. I don't know if you have ever tried this, but so far, it works well for me on a single line game of regular Deuces Wild.

wildman49
Video Poker Master

Post by wildman49 »

olds442jetaway
VP Veteran

Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 11:36am

Hi Phil and gang. I am going to back burner the Phil method for now,
not because it cost too much which it didn't, but because the flip flop
hits were driving me crazy. Seems like almost everytime I went to max
bet based on a hit of 4 or more, I got a dud, but when I went back to
single coin play, I would hit something good on the next hand or the one
after that. I played this way at least 5 sessions. I know that isn't
long enough, but the mental part was getting to me.Olds I am finding the same thing as you. I have tryed the Phil method 9 trips now and only 4 deuces on single coin 2 different times. Get restless after max to one coin over and over. I do have to say bank roll last a mighty long time, just working toward one of the big Phil hits!

Vman96
Video Poker Master

Post by Vman96 »

Missed this earlier. Yeah Goose Island isn't that bad, and ironically that was the beer I was having when I hit my only AWAK while actually playing DDB (I've hit several more while playing different games) at the Mirage Sports bar in May 2013. Of course I was using a one-coin strategy to save money and gain booze because 7/5 DDB is just terrible.

But I have got into the bad habit of liking stronger "Double/Imperial IPAs". I bought this at the beer store this week that I never had before. Very good. 9% ABV. But cost me $10 for a 4 pack.    Love the label though.

BillyJoe
Video Poker Master

Post by BillyJoe »

[QUOTE=olds442jetaway]

Missed this earlier. Yeah Goose Island isn't that bad, and ironically that was the beer I was having when I hit my only AWAK while actually playing DDB (I've hit several more while playing different games) at the Mirage Sports bar in May 2013. Of course I was using a one-coin strategy to save money and gain booze because 7/5 DDB is just terrible.

[/QUOTE]
What a great max coin TDB hand..

Sorry, VMan