has anyone flown Spirit Airlines to Vegas

Discuss all things Las Vegas. Hotels, restaurants, good deals, airfares, cabbies, conventions, shows, etc.
cook1947

Re: has anyone flown Spirit Airlines to Vegas

Post by cook1947 »

Just returned from my Vegas trip and I do have to admit, I was not unhappy with Spirit. We took off from Minneapolis right on time, and left Vegas right on time. I don't know is I would ever fly them again because there are no flights from either St.Louis or Nashville, which are the closest airports for me. We just happened to be in Minneapolis and I thought I would try it. Absolutely no frills, but I was amazed at how many people were so totally unaware of the bag charges, which are clearly explained when you make the reservations. Some did not  make or pay for their seats when you make your reservations, so getting held up in line was their problem. If I lived in Minneapolis, I might do it again, but  I think I might just stay with Southwest.

BillyJoe
Video Poker Master

Post by BillyJoe »

I am glad the flight worked out for you..

OTABILL
Video Poker Master

Post by OTABILL »

From what I hear, you were fortunate to have such a positive experience with Spirit. Hope the rest of your trip was as successful. For us, Southwest is the way to go.

cook1947

Post by cook1947 »

Oh, yeah, by the way, I did have a GREAT trip. I almost entirely played 3-way Poker at the Gold Coast and Palms. It is such a fun game. I came home with $1,800 just playing $1 per 3 hand play,( pennies, GULP)  so that made it more fun. I rented a car, but I only put 9 miles on it, as I didn't really go anywhere else. 4th of July is not the best weekend to go. I like to go downtown, but they were having a big bash on Fremont experience, so I just stayed right where I was. My husband got to spend the week with his 93 year old Mother and his older brother, and I didn't have to! Worked well for me!!!

marie meijer
Video Poker Master

Post by marie meijer »

We just flew Spirit round trip to Vegas and have only good to report! $508.36 for two, via priceline.com. from Detroit Metro.DO check on luggage restrictions in advance. Specific allowable luggage sizes are given on the net. We took two small cases that fit under the seat in front of us plus one medium size purse to duck their luggage fees. IF you do not pay a carry on fee in advance, they can charge $100 at the gate! Two wood boxes are at the gate. IF your luggage fits in the smaller box, you do not pay luggage fee. Self checked in by machine for boarding pass and our preferred aisle seat assignment, with no lines. I admit we were early. 

cook1947

Post by cook1947 »

Hi Marie..next time, if you fly Spirit, you might try One Travel. They book almost exclusively for Spirit and their prices are ridiculously low. Right now, from Minneapolis to Las Vegas, it is $72 one way, not counting your seat or your luggage. I would love to go again this Oct. but I am still not feeling well enough to go. Going right on Spirit is good too. Good luck.

marie meijer
Video Poker Master

Post by marie meijer »

Hey cook, Many thanks for the info! Instead of leaving home at 4:00 AM for an early flight, we stayed at a motel near the air port that provides both free parking for a week and breakfast w a DIY waffle maker. Approx $80 for the motel and then saving approx $60 on parking. "America's Best Value Inn" On the red eye return trip, our shuttle driver suggested we have another breakfast at that motel! YUM! I found several such motels and parking deals on line when I logged on "Detroit Metro free parking w motel". Perhaps other large cities also offer this feature. Also, it seemed as soon as we were belted in our seats for that red eye flight, they announced they were circling to land! Ergo, we fell asleep almost immediately for a 3 1/2 hr flight! Often there are plenty of empty seats on a red eye flight which is another plus feature!

marie meijer
Video Poker Master

Post by marie meijer »

Whoa, cook. I just checked One Travel and they do have some great prices. Next trip I will check both One Travel and Priceline.com. Once, we innocently paid extra on Spirit to sit together on aisle seats on a red eye. That flight was half empty and gave us a big choice of seats! We have not paid extra for seating since and have always been able to sit together!

jocker
Forum Rookie

Post by jocker »

Just got back from Vegas last week and flew Spirit round trip. Great price and best of all NO RECLINING SEATS!!! No ones head in your lap!   Always fly Spirit to Vegas at least twice a year.

cook1947

Post by cook1947 »

Just got back from Vegas last week and flew Spirit round trip. Great price and best of all NO RECLINING SEATS!!! No ones head in your lap!   Always fly Spirit to Vegas at least twice a year.

Oh, that is a great point. The seats are uncomfortable to sleep in, but for 3 hours, I will ride standing up. Right now it is about $200 one way on Southwest, as compared to the $72 I found for Spirit. The plane gets from point A to point B and I really had no complaints.