Please explain the "kicker" to me.

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
Eduardo
Video Poker Master

Please explain the "kicker" to me.

Post by Eduardo »

I hear a lot about 4 aces and a kicker.  Is there a kicker in every game or does that only apply to certain games like Double Doube Bonus where the paytable lists 4 aces and 4 aces with a 2,3,4.For instance, Jacks or Better does not have this kicker right?Thanks.

rascal
VP Veteran

Post by rascal »

Just where the paytable lists the kicker. DDB, TDB, SDB, so on and so forth. No kicker listed, no kicker. Games offering a kicker take something away from a lower paying hand to make up for the kicker. TDB, for instance, the kicker payout is fantastic, but you lose on three of a kind to make up for it.

Kicker rules vary from game to game. In DDB, don't hold kickers. In TDB, where the payout is so high, it makes sense to hold your kickers.

If you are playing Jacks or Better you are wasting your time and money.

Eduardo
Video Poker Master

Post by Eduardo »

So Jacks or Better isn't a good choice at all? Should I always play a game with a kicker then?

BOOPSAHOY
Video Poker Master

Post by BOOPSAHOY »

Jacks are better will be less volatile. Less dramatic bad days and less dramatic good days. Its a good game to keep playing for a royal.

Eduardo
Video Poker Master

Post by Eduardo »

So would people hold three aces and a kicker instead of drawing two cards to try to get the 4th ace?

BOOPSAHOY
Video Poker Master

Post by BOOPSAHOY »

No correct strategy is to throw away te kicker-gives u 2 chances to hit the 4th ace

rascal
VP Veteran

Post by rascal »

TDB, hold the kicker with three cards. DDB, don't hold the kicker. TBD pays $2,000 for 2, 3, 4, with kicker and $4,000 for Ace with kicker, so it makes sense to hold the kicker. DDB pays less, so it does not make sense.

Jacks or Better is worthless. If you are playing for nothing except Royals you are leaving a lot of money on the table. Start with DB, move up to DDB and TDB and the other members of the BP family. I know several VP professionals who can't believe anyone still plays Jacks or Better.

BOOPSAHOY
Video Poker Master

Post by BOOPSAHOY »

Rascal u r correct. I said not to hold the kicker thinking DDB cause thats what I play!

macaroo
Forum Rookie

Post by macaroo »

The kicker card is a hold over strategy from the table game of poker.  An ace has no value of it's own.  When I see somebody holding a Ace kicker while playing Dueces Wild, it tells me that the individual does not know how to play this game correctly.

jojo1974
Forum Newbie

Post by jojo1974 »

The kicker card is a hold over strategy from the table game of poker.  An ace has no value of it's own.  When I see somebody holding a Ace kicker while playing Dueces Wild, it tells me that the individual does not know how to play this game correctly.Yes, you must make sure the game you are playing has an extra payout for a kicker to begin with. Having a single high card is meaningless in video poker since you're not trying to break any "ties."