All Star Poker Options

Why do you play video poker? What is your favorite game and why?
Lucky Larry
Video Poker Master

All Star Poker Options

Post by Lucky Larry »

The following options are available on Coushatta All Star VP machines. I'm familiar with half of the games. Any of the following games "jewels" that I should learn to play:
Double Super Times
Extra Draw Frenzy
Deal Draw

Why? and are there specific strategies?

Thanks,
LL

BillyJoe
Video Poker Master

Post by BillyJoe »

Of course, DealDraw (aka DoublePay) is one of my favorite games if TDB is one of the selections.

If I play STP, Larry, I prefer the Double STP. If you are going to invest at all in multipliers, you may as well give yourself two chances with a little more investment.

The only strategy change that I use in Double STP is to be mindful that you may get a multiplier on the Draw. With that in mind, I always try to get some type of paying hand, just in case that multiplier pops up. I do not chase straights and flushes if I have a pay card to hold.

But - that's just me...   

DaBurglar
Video Poker Master

Post by DaBurglar »

Avoid Extra Draw Frenzy, in my opinion.     I played this game quite a bit on my trip to AC BEFORE my last trip (that would be back in July )......I played it on two different all star machines at the TAJ, in the scetion closest to the check in desk, in the SMOKING section right outside Trump Times News stand and sundries.These two Extra Draw Frenzy games were to say the least HIGHLY suspicious in terms of being set up to deal and play FAIR AND SQUARE.     All they did to me was eat my credits.    The way the RNG deals all those supposed "bonus" extra hands is really hinky, I never caught anything on them, I mean ZIP!    And I played at least a total of 30,000 distinct and independent DEALS (hands) over the course of about a week).    l.     I played almost exclusively two different games, split 50/50 between them:    7/5 Bonus Poker   and 8/5 DDB.....now by themselves these paytables are horrific, but the way the game is advertised, you acquire three (3) bonus hands for every dealt two pair, three of a kind, straight, flush or full house.    So you see, in theory, you ought to be accumulating a LOT of extra hands to compensate for the lousy paytables.I ran the numbers a while back to figure exactly what was going on with Extra Deal Frenzy, but I forget what the results were and I lost the file I saved it on and I do not feel like revisiting it because I am never EVER going to play this game again.    But suffice it to say, after 30,ooo hands, I should have hit something good, and I did not.....it was just a slow steady downward spiral, and REALLY boring to boot.

Vman96
Video Poker Master

Post by Vman96 »

Of course, DealDraw (aka DoublePay) is one of my favorite games if TDB is one of the selections.

If I play STP, Larry, I prefer the Double STP. If you are going to invest at all in multipliers, you may as well give yourself two chances with a little more investment.

The only strategy change that I use in Double STP is to be mindful that you may get a multiplier on the Draw. With that in mind, I always try to get some type of paying hand, just in case that multiplier pops up. I do not chase straights and flushes if I have a pay card to hold.

But - that's just me...   

I don't recommend any strategy changes for any of these games. Given identical paytables, Double STP usually gives the biggest "boost" at almost 0.50%.

Double STP is also definitely my favorite. Will play 8/5 Bonus w/DSTP (99.67%, tied for highest DSTP in the country) next week at South Point! The next time I get one of these multipliers, I hope make a better hand playing for a lot of more money of course. Preferably the dealt Royal... A dealt Royal with any awarded deal multiplier automatically awards a 20X Royal (probability: ~1 in 9.74M)

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Well, just like the lotto somebody has to win vman. Might as well be you when you get out there. Hope you don't mind this time the beer is on you if the Royal hits.

Vman96
Video Poker Master

Post by Vman96 »

Well, just like the lotto somebody has to win vman. Might as well be you when you get out there. Hope you don't mind this time the beer is on you if the Royal hits.

Of course. The beer was on me when a random neighbor rooted me on 2 years ago when I made my biggest ever credit win on that game with 5x 4 Deuces.

The game is a variance rollercoaster though. If you're not hitting things with multipliers, it's pretty rough. Sorta amazing I actually love the game. I like lower variance VP generally.

Lucky Larry
Video Poker Master

Post by Lucky Larry »

vman and DB,
Thanks for the input. I've been practicing to get a feel for how they play and then played Double STP. I was amazed how many times the X came up and did fairly well "for a while". TDB on nickels was fun when I hit 4's the second hand and later caught a bizarre 3X and 5X on the same hand. I'd never seen 2 separate X on the same hand. Later I was dealt a Straight Flush X 3 and then I went cold.

pokerpokerpoker
VP Veteran

Post by pokerpokerpoker »

Vman, Ameristar has 9/5 DDB DSTP for dimes. Do you know the payback percentage for that version?

Vman96
Video Poker Master

Post by Vman96 »

Vman, Ameristar has 9/5 DDB DSTP for dimes. Do you know the payback percentage for that version?

Which Ameristar is that? East Chicago? I would play the 7/5 Bonus game there for dimes at 98.51%. Unfortunately, Ameristar St. Charles only offers it for quarters...jerks.

Tunica Roadhouse had that game for 2c a credit...see earlier picture in that thread.    It's 98.37% for 9/5 DDB, but the dealt royal for 20X is worth 0.12% for the game as well. Quite swingy. :( Now I settle for 9/6/5 Double Bonus for nickels at the Roadhouse (98.30%), but I hate Double Bonus.

pokerpokerpoker
VP Veteran

Post by pokerpokerpoker »

Yeah, East Chicago. 98%+ for dimes ain't bad.