let`s talk speed

Why do you play video poker? What is your favorite game and why?
gr8bowlr
Forum Rookie

Re: let`s talk speed

Post by gr8bowlr »

Anything but the fastest speed is like taking sleepng pills and drinking beer at the same time.  Makes me sleepy, and thats where you make mistakes.  Fastest speed is always the best, but pausing a second or 2 keeps you refreshed for long sessions.

rascal
VP Veteran

Post by rascal »

Not necessarily. Some of the speed demons I've watched make a huge number of mistakes that they are probably unaware of. My speed varies with the hand ---  the more I've got riding on the hand the more deliberate and careful I am.

In addition, for those of us who have been around for a while, an important side benefit of video poker or, really, any video game is the mental exercise we can engage in. It is important not to fall into a remote speed trance, but rather to fully comprehend each card in the hand, no matter how fast you play.

Any time I play more than 100,000 hands per hour I get dizzy and that's God's way of telling me to slow down.

cddenver
Video Poker Master

Post by cddenver »

Not necessarily. Some of the speed demons I've watched make a huge number of mistakes that they are probably unaware of. My speed varies with the hand ---  the more I've got riding on the hand the more deliberate and careful I am.

Any time I play more than 100,000 hands per hour I get dizzy and that's God's way of telling me to slow down.

I agree with you about slowing down a bit to avoid misplaying hands.  I know it's time for me to take a break when I begin seeing mistakes right as I hit "Draw".  There are also a few hands I misplay consistently when I begin tiring, which is another sign to take a break.

If *I* played 100K hands per hour I'd be pretty darn dizzy too!

MikeA
Video Poker Master

Post by MikeA »

If *I* played 100K hands per hour I'd be pretty darn dizzy too! Playing 100K hands isn't difficult.  Just find a 1,000-play machine!  More realistically, a 100-play machine if you could squeeze 1,000 hands an hour out of it (which I doubt seriously).Interesting comment earlier though about hitting the "draw" button just a fraction of a second  too quick to correct an error you registered.  That happens to me too.  In DB, it is nearly always on a hand containing a singleton Jack or Ace.  In the case of the Jack, it's when it's too late to change my draw but the fact I had an inside straight draw that should have been taken.  Same with the Ace.  I see a low-ball straight I should have held but didn't catch it in time.I hate making those draws and when I begin to fatigue, I am not cognizant enough to override my subconscious desire NOT to hold for the inside straights.

cddenver
Video Poker Master

Post by cddenver »

Interesting comment earlier though about hitting the "draw" button just a fraction of a second  too quick to correct an error you registered.  That happens to me too.  In DB, it is nearly always on a hand containing a singleton Jack or Ace.

Same thing here.  For some reason I don't have that problem in DB with the lone Jack, but often with the Ace.  Usually a combination of two things - being tired, and also thinking "Gee, haven't got Aces in a while" right before a lone Ace is dealt.  I've even been known to miss a low pair given with an Ace.

bigboy

Post by bigboy »

I've even been known to miss a low pair given with an Ace.

That's O.K., you can always just say that it's a special strategy deviation to attain a specific win goal that you have set.

cddenver
Video Poker Master

Post by cddenver »

That's O.K., you can always just say that it's a special strategy deviation to attain a specific win goal that you have set.

Hey, that's good!  A special play!  As far as missing those inside straights, I think part of the problem is that they're kind of a complex hand to evaluate quickly compared to other dealt hands, so they're the first to be misplayed when the mind starts wandering.