TDB question(s);

Why do you play video poker? What is your favorite game and why?
Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Re: TDB question(s);

Post by Tedlark »

[QUOTE=Vman96>A similar question came up on another forum recently...

And I wrote all this as a result...shows that TDB ain't so easy.

When dealt trip Aces, 2s, 3s, 4s with a kicker, ALWAYS holdthe kicker. If you aren't willing to do this, do NOT play this game.

When dealt Aces or 2s, 3s, 4s full, break the full house with or without the kicker.   I cut the above out of Vman's post because I want to know if you were dealt: AAA22/AAA33/AAA44, would you break the full house by keeping a lone 2/3/4 with the aces?

alpax
Video Poker Master

Post by alpax »

Ted, according to the Video Poker Hand Analyzer on Wizard of Odds.

Breaking the Full House by keeping the Aces with one of the kicker has an expected return of 19.276596 units

Breaking the Full House by keeping the Aces and dropping both kickers has an expected return of 15.077706 units

Keeping the Full House has an expected return of 9 units

Hence it is a very substantial play to break the full house of trip aces and pair of kickers, in quarter denomination, the misplay would be over $5 on average if the kicker is not kept.

I have seen some successful TDB stories from your posts, I am sure you know how to approach this situation when it comes up.

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

Thanks for your answer alpax and yes, I have enjoyed some success playing TDB but I am always looking for ways to improve my game. Thanks again and good luck to you in 2015.

alpax
Video Poker Master

Post by alpax »

Glad I was able to provide some insight on a game where I do not have much courage to play on. I've tried it for quarters once with the weekly free slot play and lucked out, near the end of the balance, I was dealt 3 2's with an Ace and 8. I held onto the twos and the Ace (I remembered holding the kicker), and got the 4th 2 on the draw for a 2000 credit payout. Yet there were countless amount of times I've been dealt 4 to the royal and did not draw the last card, yet both situations were equal 1 in 47 odds.

Hope things keep continuing to go well for you (more success stories) as well. Being a JoB player, I am going to need it as the nature of that game requires the Royal Flush to be hit to recoup most of the money I lost over 2014.

Stormi
Forum Newbie

Post by Stormi »

I think it also has a lot to do with if you are playing a multiple hand game or a single play as well how you are doing over all monetary wise.   I always break up a full house when aces are the prevalent cards. Sometimes it pays off and sometimes it doesn't.   But that is why they call it gambling!       

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

I think it also has a lot to do with if you are playing a multiple hand game or a single play as well how you are doing over all monetary wise.       
Actually, neither of the two should affect how you play a particular hand.

williejoe
Forum Rookie

Post by williejoe »

i can't help but laugh at some of these post regarding how to play a certain hand. please you guys----just purchase one of the several excellent v.p. computer training programs---available to anyone who can turn on their computer. these programs easily instruct you how to play any hand. it is that simple!!!!! you can always decide to play a given hand in any manner you want----but you will at least know how much it varies from optimum play. so come on guys---stop the post on how to best paly a certain hand.
and before someone replies--------i have nothing to do with selling these programs

cribplayer
Forum Rookie

Post by cribplayer »

I like playing the TDB on nickels but , I don't understand why it says the correct play is too hold the 3 card flush  vs the singleton face card.the same goes with holding the 2 pair of example kk 99 , I'd hold the kk and go for the 4 of a kind rather than the full house.I have the the video poker app on my Ipad and while playing triple double bonus I was delt 2  pair KK 99 i held the KK and what pops up 2 kings for 4 of a kind.Same Strategy Applies  to double double bonus , holding the single  pair vs the 2 pair and going for the 4 of a kind, if anyone can explain this too me that would be very helpful, Bob Dancer.

BobDancer
Video Poker Master

Post by BobDancer »

Same Strategy Applies  to double double bonus , holding the single  pair vs the 2 pair and going for the 4 of a kind, if anyone can explain this too me that would be very helpful, Bob Dancer.

As someone remarked here recently, follow the recommendations of the software and you'll do better than if you don't. Even if you don't understand why.Insofar as why holding two pair is better than one in most games where two pair pays single money, the simplest explanation is that it's nine times easier to get a full house from two pair than it is from a single pair.While this is true in DDB, it is ESPECIALLY true in TDB where you take such a big hit on 3-of-a-kinds.for example, for five-coin dollar players playing KK443 in 9/6 ir 9/5 DDB,         KK44 returns $8.40         KK returns     $7.24That's a $1.16 error that happens many times an hour.the same hand in 9/6 TDB (or 9/7 or 9/5)          KK44 returns $8.40 (the same as in DDB because FH and two pair pays the same)        KK returns      $6.68 (less than in DDB because of 3-of-a-kind)        44 returns       $4.62 (much less because you're giving up the guaranteed pay from KK) If you want to buck those odds, be my guest. It's very expensive. Two pair are dealt every 21 hands on average --- so depending on how fast you play, you'll get 30-50 of these per hour. You want to consistently make plays that are more than a dollar wrong so many times an hour, I hope you bring a lot of money. You're going to need it.The math on computer software isn't "opinion." All the respected software give you the same numbers. How to compute these things is agreed upon by the vast majority of knowledgeable players. Even if you don't understand why, it's the smarter play to blindly follow the computer's recommendations.    

pokerpokerpoker
VP Veteran

Post by pokerpokerpoker »

Hey, playing with VPW made me $250 the other day! I was playing DDB and was dealt 10c Jc 7c and 2 junkers. Before learning better, I would have gone for the royal. Instead I held the 3SF - and it hit. That hand kept me in the game and several quads came soon after. Went home ahead a tidy sum.

When I read about all the rotten results people have, I start to wonder how accurately they play. A percent or 2 of errors will really add up in the long run.

As a poster above said: training software can really pay off.