Peek and Play

Discuss the latest contests, contest strategies, and scores!
sinnh_old
Forum Rookie

Peek and Play

Post by sinnh_old »

I like this game. It's definitely not a game you can play as you normally do. I have a question about the payouts. The current leader had AWAK and received 38K in credits instead of 40K. I was dealt 2's with a kicker and received 19K in credits instead of 20K. I didn't see anything in help that explained how this could happen.

Can someone explain?

thanks

Webman
Video Poker Master

Post by Webman »

The win was actually 40,000. It just recreated the screen during the roll-up of the credits while it happened to show 38,000.

nolop
Forum Rookie

Post by nolop »

Finally a game that requires a brain. Well done!
Nolop

Minn. Fatz
VP Veteran

Post by Minn. Fatz »

This one is, as Arte Johnson used to say, ve-e-e-ry een-teresting. A quick Googling doesn't uncover any strategies per se. First thoughts: the advantage of the "peek" is partially undone by having to play the "peek" card when you don't hold the initial hand. The "peek" gives you a choice between 31 draws, each including the "peek," and holding all five. Dealt two high cards and a low "peek," it's not clear to me whether it's better to draw two to the two high cards + "peek" or three to just one of them + "peek." Lots of other een-teresting stuff too. Looking forward to cracking the old nut over this one. Good Mathematics!

duedue
Forum Newbie

Post by duedue »

It is a fun game but definitely frustrating !!

Mare2548
Forum Regular

Post by Mare2548 »

It is a fun game but definitely frustrating !! I'll say...I was dealt a royal (playing deuces wild) and had to throw it away. That hurt.

Webman
Video Poker Master

Post by Webman »

[QUOTE=duedue]It is a fun game but definitely frustrating !! I'll say...I was dealt a royal (playing deuces wild) and had to throw it away. That hurt.[/QUOTE]If you're dealt a royal, you just hold all 5 cards. You don't have to take the Peek card if you hold them all.

TsuDoNihm
Forum Regular

Post by TsuDoNihm »

But if you are dealt 4 to the royal with a "2" as the peek card you can't get a royal.  Likewise with dealt quads without a kicker, unless you have that kicker as your peek card you're SOL whether you are playing 3, 5 or 10 hands.This is the first game I've ever seen where the "bonus" can, and often does in my experience, hurt more than it helps. 

faygo
Video Poker Master

Post by faygo »

But if you are dealt 4 to the royal with a "2" as the peek card you can't get a royal.  Likewise with dealt quads without a kicker, unless you have that kicker as your peek card you're SOL whether you are playing 3, 5 or 10 hands.This is the first game I've ever seen where the "bonus" can, and often does in my experience, hurt more than it helps. 

Agree! To be fair it does increase the lower end payouts such as 2 pair, flushes and FHs

wcc2
Forum Rookie

Post by wcc2 »

I've mentally renamed this one "Peek & Despair," since that peek so often ruins any chance of 4-card possibilities (flushes, straights, straight flushes, etc.) No wonder the payouts are increased!