DDBP hold one pair or two

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
kjmema
Forum Rookie

DDBP hold one pair or two

Post by kjmema »

You often get two pr's in DDBP.  I always hold both pr's even if one pr. is high cards and one pr. is low cards.  I even hold two pr's if both are high cards.  My friend says I'm nuts that I should just keep one High pr and throw the other.  When I try that I often  loose a full house...I know Dancer holds both pr's and wonder if there is any other advice. 

BOOPSAHOY
Video Poker Master

Post by BOOPSAHOY »

iI used to only hold one pair if thre was a picture card pair involved but since playing on the training games I see that they say to keep both. My last few trips I started keeping both pairs and I really did get a lot more full houses. I never keep both pairs if one pair is an aces pair though!!

jakand
Forum Newbie

Post by jakand »

You often get two pr's in DDBP.  I always hold both pr's even if one pr. is high cards and one pr. is low cards.  I even hold two pr's if both are high cards.  My friend says I'm nuts that I should just keep one High pr and throw the other.  When I try that I often  loose a full house...I know Dancer holds both pr's and wonder if there is any other advice. 

Why would you hold both pairs if one is a high pair and the other a low pair?  If you held only the high pair, you've got a winning hand, and a chance at 3 or 4 of a kind.  If you held both the high and the low pair, you might pull a full house or maybe 3 of a kind, but if you got neither, you're payout would be the same as if you held only the high pair.
I'd rather take a chance (since I already have a winning hand with the high pair) to go for 4 of a kind.
If both my pairs were high cards, I definitely would hold both and go for the full house.
Just my technique, that's all.  My win-loss statement says I'm ahead of the game for now anyway.

rascal
VP Veteran

Post by rascal »

In DBP I hold both pairs always. In DDBP if one pair is Aces, 2, 3, or 4, I keep just the one pair. Otherwise, I keep both. I have crunched the numbers several times based on my long term returns and it pays to do this only in DDB. Just like in TDB I will hold 3 of a kind plus a kicker for A 2 3 or 4, although I will not do this in any other game.

Now, if you are sitting there at the machine for hours on end and playing to win that magic 1.2% return after many hours of play, my system might not work. But I call it gambling, not proving I have an iron ass, so I gamble that the hand is going to be a winner.

So far I am happy with my overall results. I will never play the long term mythical 1.2% return. I play to win bucks today, not long term.

PETE26
Forum Rookie

Post by PETE26 »

The proper play is to hold all two pairs (because of the possible full house draw) except when one pair is Aces, then just hold the aces and never with a kicker. The amount of full houses you get will more than make up for the occasional four of a kind that you may get.

shadowman
Video Poker Master

Post by shadowman »

Why would you hold both pairs if one is a high pair and the other a low pair?  If you held only the high pair, you've got a winning hand, and a chance at 3 or 4 of a kind.  If you held both the high and the low pair, you might pull a full house or maybe 3 of a kind, but if you got neither, you're payout would be the same as if you held only the high pair.
I'd rather take a chance (since I already have a winning hand with the high pair) to go for 4 of a kind.

The reason you hold two pair is that you will do better over time for most pay tables. Of course, you may get lucky in the short term but if you continue to gamble it is highly likely that your results will approach expected random results.

Taking a chance is a different topic. If you are willing to give up some of the expected return for a few more exciting moments then that is your choice. However, I would not advise others to play this way when it will generally result in higher losses for them. Note the section on this website that gives the odds for hitting a quad holding a pair (1-360) vs. hitting a full house (1-12).

Eduardo
Video Poker Master

Post by Eduardo »

So far I am happy with my overall results. I will never play the long term mythical 1.2% return. I play to win bucks today, not long term.That is interesting how often do you think you throw away the "smart" play in favor of something with a chance at high payout? What are some examples? Do you find that you win over time more than 1.2%?