So many dealt royals

Discuss the latest contests, contest strategies, and scores!
AUPhil
Forum Newbie

So many dealt royals

Post by AUPhil »

Considering the odds of being dealt a natural royal flush are roughly 1 in 650,000, and everyone winning the contests is almost always the recipient of a dealt royal, can we assume that videopoker.com servers churn out:D: 30 daily contests x 10 daily "top ten" listed winners x 650,000 = 195,000,000W: 4 weekly contests x 10 weekly "top ten listed winners x 650,000 = 26,000,000M: 1 monthly contest x 10 monthly "top ten listed winners x 650,000 = 6,500,000D+W+M = at LEAST 227,500,000 hands of video poker (for contests, alone) per month?

BobDancer
Video Poker Master

Post by BobDancer »

There certainly are a lot of hands dealt each month on this site. Nobody should question that. Your math, those, neglects certain factors.1.    In many contests, TDB is allowed. this has AWAK paying as much as a royal. Since dealt AWAK are three times as likely as royals, the chances are that many of the scores arose with aces rather than with royals.  Some contests offer 5-of-a-kind joker poker. There are 13 possible dealt 5oak compared than four dealt royals. Of course the number of possibilities is larger in a 53-card deck compared to a 52-card deck, but it's still almost three times more likely to get a 4000-coin hand in this game as in a "regular" video poker game.2.    While I don't challenge your conclusion that most contests have a score consistent with the top player getting the equivalent of a dealt royal, I strongly challenge your conclusion that all 10 daily winners have scores that high. It just isn't true. At least, not every day. Look at the scores for the daily contest near the end of the contest day several times and you'll convince yourself of that.3.    There are contest games here with multipliers. With the right multiplier, dealt four deuces and other hands can add up to as much as a dealt royal without multipliers.I don't know how it all adds up --- and it certainly adds up to a lot of hands. I believe your estimate is very high, but I don't have an estimate I could put out there I would be willing to bet I'm right.It's probably within Webman's power to tell us how many hands are dealt in contests here each month. Whether he chooses to do so is up to him and his bosses.

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

As well, the monthly contest is single line. Royals, whether dealt or drawn, count only once. It's not like getting a dealt royal on 100 play, and getting 100 of them.

wdulce18
Forum Newbie

Post by wdulce18 »

I'm wondering if there are any video poker tournaments. In vegas. I'm new to this forum. Thanks

Webman
Video Poker Master

Post by Webman »

If you view the contest results, it shows exactly how many sessions were played. Multiply by the number of deals per session and you will have the number of total deals.