borgata

Discussion about gambling in Atlantic City
doris13
Video Poker Master

Re: borgata

Post by doris13 »

no after a big hit i might play another half hour or so and then leave.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

And a poet by any other name.....Anyway, FAA and Ted. I know what FAA is talking about and have that stigma too. That said, some of my biggest hits ever have been on machines where myself or others have just hit quads or Royals. Go figure.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

Ted, thanks for confirming my comments about your luck, and luck in general. Olds, thanks for your feedback. The bottom always drops out on me! What a confounding conundrum. Doris, your half hour extension sounds very smart! I think that is the sweet spot actually where I can minimally damage my win. Pretty pathetic to set up business at the crap table to recover VP profit! It can be done, with additional risk and time.

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

FAA there's no doubt that I'm lucky when playing video poker and anyone who has been dealt a royal,or aces with a kicker, or a premium 2's/3's/4's has to chalk it up to luck as well. As people here have pointed out; there's no skill what so ever in catching something on the deal so it has to be luck then.

Yes, you need to know how far you want to drop before damaging whatever win or gain you had and that is a choice that can only be made by you as the player. Or a wife/significant other if so inclined.....

Edited to add: Earlier this year I caught a royal on the draw after holding A-10. Apparently the books say to only hold the ace so in that case, I was lucky.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Holding that Ace/ten...Works for you and Mrs. Phil..I have enough trouble holding J/10 and Q/10, although I force myself to do it. Maybe I wouldn't have gone Royalless so long if I had held a few A/10s... You certainly get enough of them in a session to try. Speaking of going against the book...a fellow vp player I know always dumps one of two unsuited high cards in hopes of catching a Royal with the one card hold. He actually caught 2 so far this year doing that, but I don't know how much it cost him either by tossing the one high card.

doris13
Video Poker Master

Post by doris13 »

i always hold the 10.can't have the royal without it

OTABILL
Video Poker Master

Post by OTABILL »

FAA there's no doubt that I'm lucky when playing video poker and anyone who has been dealt a royal,or aces with a kicker, or a premium 2's/3's/4's has to chalk it up to luck as well. As people here have pointed out; there's no skill what so ever in catching something on the deal so it has to be luck then.

Yes, you need to know how far you want to drop before damaging whatever win or gain you had and that is a choice that can only be made by you as the player. Or a wife/significant other if so inclined.....

Edited to add: Earlier this year I caught a royal on the draw after holding A-10. Apparently the books say to only hold the ace so in that case, I was lucky.

Ted: You are the perfect example of what I have written about months ago, namely that luck is paramount - not paytables or skill. I have no doubt you are a very skillful player and seek the best paytables. Yet, you have been so succesful because of good fortune in being dealt and/or drawing premium hands. Hope your luck continues.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

The machines have a nasty habit of obliterating my existing machine balance after the quad. Then I kick in half the original ante and get close to my peak balance with the next quad. It's really stressful. Yet players have four plus hour sessions on a machine.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

Doris, you do need the ten for the RF. But less aggressive conventional players prefer to save that spot to pursue a matching high card to render the hand a push.

doris13
Video Poker Master

Post by doris13 »

i have hit quite a few royals holding j/10,k/10,q/10 so i think i will keep playing my way.