Do you really like multi-line VP, really?

Why do you play video poker? What is your favorite game and why?
MCPoker
Forum Rookie

Do you really like multi-line VP, really?

Post by MCPoker »

I was in Vegas for two days this past week. After reading a ton of posts on this site and other websites, I wanted to give multi-line VP a shot. I went to MGM and sat down at a Spin Poker machine. I started playing one line, getting warmed up, then proceed to 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and then 10 and finally 20 lines. I know some people like the action of the multi-line play. I found it a tad frustrating. I like to watch the cards come up on my line. When playing multi-line you can't watch all the combinations. I guess I'm more visual than most people. I like to see it hit. I could watch 3 lines but more than that is it downright confusing.

What do you think? Are you about the action or watching the reward of your labors? I guess this might be a good question for any psychologist/sociologist on the board.

Thanks

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

I personally found single line video poker to be boring about 5 minutes after I first discovered multi-line video poker back about 1997.

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

You are playing spin poker. There is multiline video poker available that is not spin.

I feel the same way about single line versus multiline as Tedlark.

Bobbi

Post by Bobbi »

I don't like spin poker - too many things to look at. My game of choice is triple up - try that - you will get hooked...

MCPoker
Forum Rookie

Post by MCPoker »

Yes, spin is not technically multi-line. But the various ways of hitting makes it difficult to watch the action.

JWF
Forum Rookie

Post by JWF »

Totally agree...I can't even play single line poker any more.   Once Ultimate X poker and Super Times Pay came along, I found it hard to play anything else.

I personally found single line video poker to be boring about 5 minutes after I first discovered multi-line video poker back about 1997.

alpax
Video Poker Master

Post by alpax »

I do not have the budget to play multiline video poker so I am content with single line game kings. I am used to playing carnival table games so single line vp does not feel too much different.

Though in theory and math state the long term return of multiline and single line are the same, with the former helping to achieve the result quicker, it feels like the high variance Double Double Bonus and Triple Double Bonus benefit the most since you need the premium quad to save the day. Ted's venture with video poker is definitely proof of that.

pokerpokerpoker
VP Veteran

Post by pokerpokerpoker »

No, I don't like multi-line for a few reasons. First of all it seems like good hands are watered down by all the losers - on single hand a quad keeps you playing a long time. Whereas in ten-play you need frequent quads to avoid busting.

Paytables are often lower on multi-line.

Finally, I like to play for the big win, which to me means playing dollars and there is no way I can afford multi-line dollars

EDC1977
Video Poker Master

Post by EDC1977 »

Multi-hand VP whenever I can. I fully agree with Ted. Spin Poker occassionally. I will play up to 100 hand spin 10 cent and less denom otherwise, it will eat my bankroll.

Carcounter
Video Poker Master

Post by Carcounter »

Would love to play more multi- line, but pay tables are always lower. One exception is the $1.00 9/6 triple play at Borgata that I play when I have the bankroll.