Give up a Full House? Did I mess up big time?

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
pokerpokerpoker
VP Veteran

Re: Give up a Full House? Did I mess up big time?

Post by pokerpokerpoker »

Sounds like you were playing Build A Wheel Poker. If you didn't hold the FH, all slices would still have been revealed.

brad441
Forum Newbie

Post by brad441 »

Thanks guys for the feedback, lesson learned. I also should look at paytables because yes, a payout of 30 for a full house is just sad (especially for a 20 credit bet). I guess I screwed up and left some good money on the "table". Maybe I should take up bowling again, actually I did have a 206 average in my last league might be a good idea ;-)

Zenslinger
Forum Newbie

Post by Zenslinger »

I have always thought that one definitely takes three Aces when dealt a Full House on DDB, let alone TDB.My questions are:Does one keep trip 2/3/4's when dealt a Full House on Triple Double Bonus?Do you really keep a kicker with trip Aces in TDB? I have always thought that keeping a kicker was foolishness since you cut down your chance of the quad so badly. If so, would one do the same with trip 2/3/4's?

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

The hell with the kicker. You should kick yourself for cutting the four aces hit opportunity so much. If it's gonna happen, it will. Don't force the issue. That's my conservative take. It's a hell of a story if the kicker hold play pays off, of course!

Zenslinger
Forum Newbie

Post by Zenslinger »

I tend to agree, FAA, but TDB does do strange things to the odds.I'm also wondering if one keeps single Aces on Deuces Wild Bonus (an Ace by itself, an Ace plus any Deuces).But maybe I should start a new thread!

Sea Lion

Post by Sea Lion »

My questions are:Does one keep trip 2/3/4's when dealt a Full House on Triple Double Bonus? I do.Do you really keep a kicker with trip Aces in TDB? I have always thought that keeping a kicker was foolishness since you cut down your chance of the quad so badly. If so, would one do the same with trip 2/3/4's?

It is "suggested".  Notice I didn't use the word "rule" here  In my personal experience, I have always done better by kicking that kicker to the curb (burning it), especially on 10-Play.

Vman96
Video Poker Master

Post by Vman96 »

I have always thought that one definitely takes three Aces when dealt a Full House on DDB, let alone TDB.My questions are:Does one keep trip 2/3/4's when dealt a Full House on Triple Double Bonus?Do you really keep a kicker with trip Aces in TDB? I have always thought that keeping a kicker was foolishness since you cut down your chance of the quad so badly. If so, would one do the same with trip 2/3/4's?

The math says YES to all questions. Quads with a kicker is so huge in that game.

But if you have 2s/3s/4s full and the full house pays 45, holding the full house is "only" a 38.2 cent mistake on max bet quarters long term. Every other scenario is worse.

The hell with the kicker. You should kick yourself for cutting the four aces hit opportunity so much. If it's gonna happen, it will. Don't force the issue. That's my conservative take. It's a hell of a story if the kicker hold play pays off, of course!

If anyone feels this way, they should NEVER play TDB, imo. The game is designed to go for the kickers!

I tend to agree, FAA, but TDB does do strange things to the odds.I'm also wondering if one keeps single Aces on Deuces Wild Bonus (an Ace by itself, an Ace plus any Deuces).But maybe I should start a new thread!

For bonus deuces hold 22A and 222A. For Double Bonus Deuces also hold 2A. That last one bugs me for sure.