Holding Kickers?

Why do you play video poker? What is your favorite game and why?
jtlessons
Forum Newbie

Holding Kickers?

Post by jtlessons »

Hi, I live in Reno for at the moment and have been playing DDB for almost a year now. I have hit 11 royals since August of 2015.

I teach guitar, bass and ukulele on Skype so I have free time in the morning to try and find the right machines:
www.jeffrey-thomas.com

My question is when I am dealt say 3 2's and a 4, should I hold the 4?

Or on the Ace situation if I have 3 aces and a 2 for example should I hold the 2?

Thanks!

lvbettor
Forum Newbie

Post by lvbettor »

My opinion holding the kicker is not a wise choice. Quad 2s,3s,4s or aces is a win. Why cut your chances in half? Catching the kicker makes good that much better.

ddbplayahhh
Forum Rookie

Post by ddbplayahhh »

Hold kickers on TDB but not DDB.

EDC1977
Video Poker Master

Post by EDC1977 »

Holding kickers in triple double bonus only. Above post is correct. I don't hold kickers because I'd much rather catch the quad first. I rarely play TDB but I'm familiar with the holds.

jtlessons
Forum Newbie

Post by jtlessons »

Ok, I am playing and talking about DDB only. You can see my logic right. When playing quarters 4 2's, 3's or 4's is $100.00 if you have the ace it is $200.00

Aces are more significant. 4 aces are $200.00 but if the 2, 3 or 4 is there it is $500.00 so in either case I am always tempted to hold the kicker. If you are dealt 3 aces and have a 2, 3 or 4 you are only a ace away from $500.00.

I hope to hear from player who know DDB.
Thanks, Jeff

Sea Lion

Post by Sea Lion »

These guys are correct, Jeff. The general rule is not to hold a kicker in DDB, but if your gambling side is eating at ya, then go for it. In TDB, 4- 2s,3s,4s with a kicker on a quarter machine pays $500, and 4 Aces with a kicker pays $1000, so only in that game should you hold a kicker.

ddbplayahhh
Forum Rookie

Post by ddbplayahhh »

I am well versed in DDB. Obviously you didn't like the answers you got but we are all correct. The proper play in DDB is to not hold kickers.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

You must keep that horse before the cart. Remember who's driving. Majority rules here.

jtlessons
Forum Newbie

Post by jtlessons »

Thanks for you help guys! I just compared the paytable on TDB to DDB! I think I will try it next time I am out.

What are the main differences between the 2 games?

FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Post by FloridaPhil »

[quote=Sea Lion] The general rule is not to hold a kicker in DDB, but if your gambling side is eating at ya, then go for it.[/quote]When you ask a strategy question on this forum, you will most likely be given the correct answer from a math standpoint.  These strategies are calculated by computers over an infinite number of theoretical hands.  However, they do not take into consideration the fact that a human being is playing these games not a computer.  Making adjustments to your strategy to enhance the enjoyment of the game is allowed, after all it is your money.  If you're playing a lot of DDB and it sounds like you are, it would be best to stick with the math based answers because you are going to need all the help you can get.  If you don't care about the cost, go for it.