TDB Hold Question

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Re: TDB Hold Question

Post by FloridaPhil »

[quote=vman96]If you believe in math, paytables, and laws dictating results of a video
poker machine (less people on this forum believe this than I'd like),
then you can use this hand analyzer to determine the best hold free of
charge if you know the paytable.
[/quote]Just like all people are different, their motivations for playing video poker are different also. A professional like Bob Dancer will give you the exact mathematical answer every time because in his world a few tenths of a percent difference could mean thousands of dollars over time.  Most players play for entertainment and want to see jackpots, not a few cents profit on a particular hand.  Whenever someone gives you an answer on this forum, make sure it fits in your world before adopting it for your own use.  The differences between the math players and the fun players will go on forever.  It's a good discussion to have as long as both sides are given equal time.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

TDB?! Talk about courting danger, stranger. It's laudable that you stick by it.

Lionqueen

Post by Lionqueen »

[quote=vman96]If you believe in math, paytables, and laws dictating results of a video
poker machine (less people on this forum believe this than I'd like),
then you can use this hand analyzer to determine the best hold free of
charge if you know the paytable.
Just like all people are different, their motivations for playing video poker are different also. A professional like Bob Dancer will give you the exact mathematical answer every time because in his world a few tenths of a percent difference could mean thousands of dollars over time.  Most players play for entertainment and want to see jackpots, not a few cents profit on a particular hand.  Whenever someone gives you an answer on this forum, make sure it fits in your world before adopting it for your own use.  The differences between the math players and the fun players will go on forever.  It's a good discussion to have as long as both sides are given equal time.

[/QUOTE]

Lionqueen

Post by Lionqueen »

This is so true & I had not thought of it this way. A week ago I got Aces with the kicker twice so I thought I would try my luck on dollars and right away was dealt 4's with the kicker on triple play. I left with a $8,000 profit. The thrill of TDB is why I play and although I realize it can take your money I do believe I'm ahead on this machine. :).   Thank you for the insight.

FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Post by FloridaPhil »

[quote=LionQueen] The thrill of TDB is why I play[/quote]Exactly.  If you're playing video poker to make money, you may want to rethink your career choice. 

BobDancer
Video Poker Master

Post by BobDancer »

There is no doubt that different players have different motivations for playing.But why would you assume that just because a recreational player WANTS certain goals, that player has the skill to reach those goals?There are a lot of plays that are "right" or "wrong." --- essentially independently of your goals. But video poker remains a game of skill --- and whatever your goal is, seat of the pants decisions on how to play particular hands will not help you reach your goals.Bob

FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Post by FloridaPhil »

[quote=Bob Dancer]But video poker remains a game of skill --- and whatever
your goal is, seat of the pants decisions on how to play particular
hands will not help you reach your goals.[/quote]Sorry Bob, no cigar this time.  No matter how much you want it to be true, it just isn't so. Pontificating that video poker is a game of skill wrongfully leads people to believe a certain strategy can create a video poker winner on it's own.  It would be like the two teams in the the Super Bowl shooting craps for the trophy.Video poker is gambling, not football, baseball, brain surgery or rocket science and all the strategy in the world won't help you if the right cards don't come up in your lifetime.  This does not mean you want players to make poor decisions in life or video poker, but we sure don't want them doubling down on them.

BobDancer
Video Poker Master

Post by BobDancer »

Video poker is gambling, not football, baseball, brain surgery or rocket science and all the strategy in the world won't help you if the right cards don't come up in your lifetime.  This does not mean you want players to make poor decisions in life or video poker, but we sure don't want them doubling down on them.

Exactly the kind of response one would expect from somebody continually promoting a silly system like CS. FP is very much like the Energizer Rabbit --- he just keeps going, and going, and going, except that here is is posting, and posting, and posting.But he's wrong on CS. And he's definitely wrong here. Video poker is applied math. Accept it --- learn to deal with it --- and it will provide insights into how to beat the game. And it's definitely beatable. In many jurisdictions. Deny that it's applied math at your peril. Believe in CS at your own peril. Claiming the world is flat over and over and over again does not make it so.

FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Post by FloridaPhil »

Moved to a new thread...

Lionqueen

Post by Lionqueen »

I believe in following the 'rules' and 99.9% of the time I do but now and then I go with my gut instinct and it pays off. Three to the Royal and 2 pairs on a full house that pays 30 and I went for the Royal and got it. It was just instinct - I've tried it again a couple of times but of course did not so back to following your rules. Three to the Royal and a face card pair I almost always go for the sure win but just a few times I just felt it and went for the Royal and got it but that certainly does not mean I go for it always. These cases are normally when I'm on a streak and have the credits to take a chance. That's all part of the thrill and makes a good story. I appreciate what I've learned from Mr. Dancer and am considered a good player. It drives me nuts to watch how some people play like throwing away one of two face cards. So many do that. Another thing that happens over and over is I'll get Aces and while waiting for the slot personnel to pay me, I move to the next machine and get them again. Several times I've had 3 machines with jackpots at the same time. I've suggested this to fellow players and it's worked for them too. I love this game and try to play it right but sometimes you have to throw out the rules and go with your gut.