9/6 JOB Strategy question

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

9/6 JOB Strategy question

Post by olds442jetaway »

Wolf vp shows a low error if you keep certain 2 suited high cards, but toss a certain low card of the same suit. Personally, I never keep the suited low card with the suited 2 high cards in the hopes of getting a flush on the draw. The exception would be keeping a 9 giving one a shot at a straight flush. I would rather have another chance at the Royal and toss the low suited card. How do others feel? Since it is listed as a low error, the penalty isn't much, but I guess over time it could add up. I actually did get a Royal a few weeks ago by tossing the suited low card in the above situation.

Mr.Dawes

Post by Mr.Dawes »

I don't play JoB so I don't know this particular situation. However, there are a couple of situations in the games I play that offer similar dilemmas. Like you I also am willing to occasionally trade a small amount of EV to go for a bigger hit. There are a couple of criterion I use to make this decision. First, the difference in EV between the correct hold and my preferred hold must be very small. Second, my hold must offer a chance of a larger jackpot than the correct hold. I do believe strongly in learning strategy and playing as accurately as I can and I very rarely deviate from correct play. However, I don't think of this as losing EV, but instead as trading EV for an occasional chance at a jackpot.  I do not think I would make these same decisions if I played full time however. But I have no desire to try to make a living playing VP.

Vman96
Video Poker Master

Post by Vman96 »

I have had to clarify people many times on a similar scenario because their calculator would tell them that AJ8 of hearts is the right hold. Why did the calculator tell them that? They were playing Florida Phil style (one coin).

I would just go for it if you're betting max. Like you said you got the royal recently from tossing the 3rd suited card. And you got a $1k+ royal in the last few weeks??? Did I miss that thread??

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

I have had to clarify people many times on a similar scenario because their calculator would tell them that AJ8 of hearts is the right hold. Why did the calculator tell them that? They were playing Florida Phil style (one coin).

I would just go for it if you're betting max. Like you said you got the royal recently from tossing the 3rd suited card. And you got a $1k+ royal in the last few weeks??? Did I miss that thread??

I feel the same way. And you are right. 2016 so far has been pretty good to us. Probably even or a little better. I did have a couple of failed discipline sessions in there, but am back on track now. Being that I do have 9/6 job and airport deuces available as well as a few other games with 98%-99.54 paytables, as long as the funds hold, I will continue to play CS, but start with bet 5 on quarters to give myself that long term nearly 2% extra return. If it starts to get too expensive, I can easily taper back, or even go to my final fallback position on the nickel game that gives me 800 for a nickel with a 96% table unfortunately. Still better to get out, play, and enjoy ourselves instead of staying home and shoveling snow which I am doing right now.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

I have had to clarify people many times on a similar scenario because
their calculator would tell them that AJ8 of hearts is the right hold.
Why did the calculator tell them that? They were playing Florida Phil
style (one coin).--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Yikes. That message would be quite irritating if I had that software. I go for the RF even on one and two coin suited highs. If I ever do hit it, I would just have to grin and bear it.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

I will continue to play CS, but start with bet 5 on quarters to give
myself that long term nearly 2% extra return. If it starts to get too
expensive, I can easily taper back.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Yeah. I have been taking a bit more turbulence with aggressive five coin hands early on in my sessions this year too. Tough to sacrifice that 2%. It's harder for me to taper back, since I bring such a low bank roll. But I have learned to just sit it out or explore the area. The cheapest convenient ATM is a $4.50 hit.

FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Post by FloridaPhil »

I think this all comes down to the reason you are playing in the fist place. If you're a professional risking huge stakes betting the math will make you whole, I would play exactly like Bob Dancer says he does.  If you're a recreational player like me, you want the most bang for your buck and losing a few cents at a chance for a royal may be worth it to you.  A good example is a Deuces Wild  suited A with a KQJ or 10 and no deuce.  The computer says to draw a new hand.  We always take the two to a royal.  Playing like I do this may cost me an additional $50 a year.  My wife and I have hit three max coin royals so far with this hand, so we are years ahead.  For most people, fun play is different from professional play.  Others for one reason or another are obsessed with mathematical correctness.  For them, the decision is easy.

Carcounter
Video Poker Master

Post by Carcounter »

FAA, ever try the Bonus Deuces Wild progressives at the Borgata? Three of them down by the Amphora lounge. Not sure what the paytable% is, but there is a progressive that resets at $250 for 4 ducks and $500 for the ducks with an ace kicker. Also $200 for 5 of a kind with one deuce. I 've dabbled on them occasionally and have had good success. Have hit the ducks with an ace twice, once for $880 and then $580. They seem to give you a lot of play for your money and give you a good shot at a $200 hit or higher.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

A good example is a Deuces Wild  suited A with a KQJ or 10 and no
deuce.  The computer says to draw a new hand.  We always take the two to
a royal.  Playing like I do this may cost me an additional $50 a year. 
My wife and I have hit three max coin royals so far with this hand, so
we are years ahead.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Outstanding results! When four figures is on the line, it's time to junk perfect strategy.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

Car, I have never even noticed it. DW progressive sounds cool. Let's get to brass tacks. What about the RF payout itself? Great option for times when the bar is full, 95% of the time. As long as I get value for the money, I would absolutely take a flier on that for a couple of hours. Probably better company than the entitled bar louts too.