Unusual hold in Airport Deuces

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
Mr.Dawes

Unusual hold in Airport Deuces

Post by Mr.Dawes »

I am gradually playing more Airport Deuces. I am using VPW software to learn the game and recently encountered a hand that has an unusual correct hold. I was dealt 3H, 4D, 5C, 9S, 10S. I assumed this was a garbage hand and discarded all 5 cards and the warning window on VPW popped up. So I used the hand analyzer and saw that the 9, 10 suited beat the 5 card discard by about .003. The margin was so close that just changing the 5 to a 6 (creating a straight penalty card for the 10 high straight) made the 5 card discard the correct play. I experimented with several different card combinations in the hand analyzer and could not find another similar hand.I only play a few different games but this is the only occasion I could think of where a two card straight flush is the correct hold, not including two cards to a royal which could also be considered two to a straight flush.Is anyone familiar with any other hands where the correct hold is a two card straight flush?

FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Post by FloridaPhil »

Good question.  I've always wondered about that hand myself.  No clue... 

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

Mr. Dawes I can see how holding 9S 10S would be the correct hold vs. a whole hand discard when playing Airport Deuces. The number of ways to connect on a straight flush looks like 7 alone, not counting ways to make a flush, or a garden variety straight. Given though that if dealt 3 deuces after holding 9S 10S would negate the 4 of a kind but would automatically bump the hold up to a straight flush anyway.

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

Do you think holding suited connectors 4 & 5, 5 & 6, 6 & 7, 7 & 8, and 8 & 9 would also be correct then; based on these being open ended?

Mr.Dawes

Post by Mr.Dawes »

Do you think holding suited connectors 4 & 5, 5 & 6, 6 & 7, 7 & 8, and 8 & 9 would also be correct then; based on these being open ended?That may be the case. I am not an expert on the game but I would think if the following two conditions are present then the suited connectors may be the correct hold.1) The three discards are not part of the straight or flush that the suited connectors are in.2) One of the straights formed by the suited connectors does not need a natural deuce like a five or six high straight.

alpax
Video Poker Master

Post by alpax »

In general on Deuces Wild, you hold the two card straight flush if the other three cards are not a straight or a flush penalty. In this case, the 3/4/5 are different suits than the 9/10; also 6 is the lower limit to the straight and King is the upper limit to the straight.

There are even more unique penalty situations for the two card straight flush, but if you want to master them, I do recommend getting the Dancer/Daily Winner's Guide Volume 4. In my opinion the best thing is that it will save you time. You will also learn the strategy better. I was able be proficient in Airport Deuces (it is referred to as psuedo-NSU in the book).

http://bobdancer.com/product/winners-gu ... euces-wild

FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Post by FloridaPhil »

Or you could just dump all five cards and go for something better.  I would, but I'm not playing for tenths of a percent.  

EDC1977
Video Poker Master

Post by EDC1977 »

I would only hold sequentials with a wild. I understand I am losing nth's of a percent but I don't play long term either. Life is too short and I'd hate to see 3RF on the draw with my SF hold.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

I very seldom connect on Airport Deuces holding one deuce with a suited 5,6 or 6,8. I think the math is very close on those holds to being a wash either way. I don't hold one deuce and a suited 4,5 or 3,4. I also have almost no luck holding one deuce and a suited A,10, but continue to do it for now. The above is based on playing 5 coins so there is no Royal penalty.

BobDancer
Video Poker Master

Post by BobDancer »

Post unable to migrate