Probability of Drawing 3 of a Kind

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
seemoreroyals
VP Veteran

Probability of Drawing 3 of a Kind

Post by seemoreroyals »

Since I play a lot of DDB it seems that the luck I have depends to a large extent on the number of times I can start out a hand by drawing 3 of a kind, I was wondering what are the odds of drawing 3 of a kind? If I can start out by drawing 3 OAK my chances of getting a 4 of a kind are much more realistic.

I have looked on this website and on wizard of odds but have been unable to find the answer to this question. I know at times I draw quite a few 3 OAK's but at other times I can go long stretches before finally drawing one. Does anyone know what the probability of drawing a 3 of a kind is?

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

When you say draw, I assume you mean being dealt?

That being the case, the frequency of being dealt three of a kind is about 1 in 47.

The frequency of converting three of a kind to quads on the draw is 1 in 23.5.

BobDancer
Video Poker Master

Post by BobDancer »

That being the case, the frequency of being dealt three of a kind is about 1 in 47.

The frequency of converting three of a kind to quads on the draw is 1 in 23.5.These are good numbers. For those who wish to know which posters know what they are talking about when listing numbers, you should add onemoretry to your list of knowledgeable people.For those who really wish to learn, it's important to know who to listen to and who to ignore.

jetermacaw
VP Veteran

Post by jetermacaw »

A follow up question gentlemen, how is this affected by the game you are playing, example 9/6 TDB vs 9/6 JOB, does the RNG treat each the same or is there a way the out come be affected and if yes, how?

FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Post by FloridaPhil »

[quote=BobDancer]For those who really wish to learn, it's important to know who to listen to and who to ignore.[/quote]Donald Trump?  

Mr.Dawes

Post by Mr.Dawes »

[QUOTE=onemoretry] When you say draw, I assume you mean being dealt?

A follow up question gentlemen, how is this affected by the game you are playing, example 9/6 TDB vs 9/6 JOB, does the RNG treat each the same or is there a way the out come be affected and if yes, how? [/QUOTE]My understanding is that it should not matter which game you are playing. The RNG is supposed to produce results equal to a live deck of 52 cards. Therefore the odds of a dealt 3 of a kind, or any other hand should equal the odds of a actual deck of cards.

seemoreroyals
VP Veteran

Post by seemoreroyals »

Thank you. I guess that explains why I did not see very many 3 oak's dealt earlier today playing the frenzy contest.

Vman96
Video Poker Master

Post by Vman96 »

[QUOTE=onemoretry] When you say draw, I assume you mean being dealt?

A follow up question gentlemen, how is this affected by the game you are playing, example 9/6 TDB vs 9/6 JOB, does the RNG treat each the same or is there a way the out come be affected and if yes, how? [/QUOTE]

VP RNGs in most jurisdictions just spit out random cards no matter what game is being played. So the odds of being dealt trips and the odds of converting trips to quads when you draw to them are the same among games.

Now in some games, you are supposed to break dealt full houses of certain ranks, like Aces-4s full in Triple Double Bonus. Because you are discarding a dealt full house to go for quads sometimes, the odds of making a full house is less in TDB vs. JoB when each game's optimal strategy is played. But if you decided to play TDB incorrectly by playing optimal JoB strategy instead, then you would expect more full houses because you are holding all dealt full houses. This would cost you more money in the long run, but the machine doesn't care what you do. The only thing that shifts the expected probabilities of your final hands is the cards you strategically hold.

jetermacaw
VP Veteran

Post by jetermacaw »

"VP RNGs in most jurisdictions just spit out random cards no matter what game is being played. So the odds of being dealt trips and the odds of converting trips to quads when you draw to them are the same among games."

OK thats what I thought, so how and where does the payback percentage come into play?

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

I am not sure what you mean by "where does the payback percentage come into play".

My understanding is that payback percentage is a calculation. It is based on the probabilities of completing all the various possible paying hands, and the reward for that completion, i.e., the paytable. The calculation assumes that the player will play each and every hand using perfect, i.e., max EV, strategy, and that all initial deals and the outcome of ensuing draws will occur according to their probabilities.