What do you do when you get dealt this hand...

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
Raner

What do you do when you get dealt this hand...

Post by Raner »

This is just a question... I'm just asking this question to see what you do...
When playing DDB Video Poker...
When you get dealt a Full House with trip 2's, 3's or 4's
What do you do...
(A) Keep the Full House and go on...
(B) You get a strong temptation to go for the Quads "BUT" keep the Full House...
(C) You go for the Quads sometimes...
(D) You go for the Quads all the time...
(E) (B) & (C)...
My answer is...(B) ...
But honestly if I did not know the correct strategy...
My answer would be (D) ...

rsactuary
Forum Regular

Post by rsactuary »

The math says the correct answer is A.. even if a full house pays 8 coins instead of 9.Now if it's Aces full that you're dealt.. that's a different story.

FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Post by FloridaPhil »

I don't play DDB, but if I ever did I would keep the full house in all cases except trip Aces.  Hitting quad aces is the whole idea of why you play DDB in the first place.  I'll throw away 40 or 45 coins for a chance at 800 or 2000 coins any day.   In deuces wild, we always throw away a straight flush if we have trip deuces.  Similar situation....

notes1
Video Poker Master

Post by notes1 »

I got this hand a couple weeks ago, sure I made the wrong decision;

straight flush....9-k
keep it or go for RF????

FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Post by FloridaPhil »

[quote=notes1]straight flush....9-k. keep it or go for RF???[/quote]Hard decision. 250 coins vs. a 1 in 47 shot at a  royal?    I think I would keep the SF.  What did you do?

Galeygoo
VP Veteran

Post by Galeygoo »

Raner, I would go for the quads all the time. I'd be 2nd guessing myself all day if I didn't.

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

straight flush....9-k
keep it or go for RF????
If you happened to be playing deuces wild (probably not), going for the natural royal would be the play. Otherwise, keeping the straight flush is much the superior play.

notes1
Video Poker Master

Post by notes1 »

I kept the SF, but am guessing I should have gone for the RF. never had this hand before, got it in tampa.

I never proclaimed to know the math, but as a general rule, I kind of remember the rule was never throw away a 250 or higher winner. I am likely wrong.

I also know that making a decision based on how one is doing at the time is wrong, but it is a factor to me. if I had been up substantially at the time, I may have gone for it, but I was down some.

notes1
Video Poker Master

Post by notes1 »

b/t/w, I appreciate the input, am not offended if told I made the wrong play. I was playing DDB, SINGLE LINE, QUARTER.

FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Post by FloridaPhil »

[quote=notes1]b/t/w, I appreciate the input, am not offended if told I made the wrong play. I was playing DDB, SINGLE LINE, QUARTER.[/quote]   In my opinion that is the best way to play DDB. It's going to take all your money anyway, why not extend the fun.