Skunk

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
MikeA
Video Poker Master

Skunk

Post by MikeA »

I've got this problem!  The contractor who laid the concrete deck around my swimming pool, didn't get the ground prepared right before pouring the concrete.  The sand and dirt is disappearing from underneath the slabs.I'd noticed a place where some animal had dug out an opening to get under one of the slabs and I tried blocking it off with bricks that I'd wedged in.  But the critter at night, would just dig around the bricks.  Last night, my wife saw the critter going into the hole.  It was this black cat with a white stripe down its back!I don't know how to get rid of it!  I'm calling the City for a wire cage "trap" but what the hell am I going to do if I catch it???????????

Eduardo
Video Poker Master

Post by Eduardo »

shadowman
Video Poker Master

Post by shadowman »

I'd call the contractor and get him to fix both problems.

oej719
Video Poker Master

Post by oej719 »

Shoot him. They taste much like sheep or goat and with thanksgiving coming up will really make that special dinner one to remember. Just cook like a turkey at 20 min per pound and season to your taste.

MikeA
Video Poker Master

Post by MikeA »

Shoot him. They taste much like sheep or goat and with thanksgiving coming up will really make that special dinner one to remember. Just cook like a turkey at 20 min per pound and season to your taste.Just got off the phone to the Police Department.  They provide cage-traps for free and will come dispose of the captured "critter".  I made sure of that!  However, right now, they have a waiting list for the traps.  I asked if I could just blow the sucker (or is it stinker?) away.  They said that if I live in the city limits, I couldn't do that without getting into more trouble than I could imagine!  So, I guess the 357 mag will remain in its secure hiding place!  But for a skunk, I'm thinking that a 12-guage with 00 buck and go for a head shot would be a better tactic!

oej719
Video Poker Master

Post by oej719 »

Head shot will likely do the job and all the edible parts will be unharmed. I do like the way you think.
The skins are very desirable and make nice hats

faygo
Video Poker Master

Post by faygo »

MikeA
Let me comiserate with you. The family farm I grew up on was lovingly called "Skunk Hollow Farm". In those days the old farm house did not have AC and on those hot and humid nights with all the windows open so one could breathe, there came the wafting of that nocturnal creatures aroma through the windows.
Gosh, I miss the good old days.

Mike T

cddenver
Video Poker Master

Post by cddenver »

You might try some of that generic critter repellant that's available at any of the larger home supply places like Lowe's or Home Depot.  I've had mixed results with it.  Worked well with some squirrels that I was having problems with.  On the other hand I've tried putting it under the bed in my guest room when Mom comes for a longer visit and it hasn't worked.

bigboy

Post by bigboy »

Just find yourself a small, round black dog with white on his underbelly. Skunks love to come and say hello to dogs with those color features.

MikeA
Video Poker Master

Post by MikeA »

I think I'll go for the trap although CD's suggestion of critter repellent sounds promising.  I doubt that it would work if there is a family down there though!I'm really more concerned about the amount of empty space under those concrete slabs!  I'm going to have to get some basement contractor to come out and pump "mud" under the concrete to support it and raise the slabs that are sinking.  One corner has sunken at least 4 inches.