Using VPW for Triple Triple Bonus

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
alpax
Video Poker Master

Using VPW for Triple Triple Bonus

Post by alpax »

For the record, there is no typographic errors with the title. There exists a game called Triple Triple Bonus though most are familiar with the high variance Triple Double Bonus game, but this is even higher variance! The availability is extremely rare so not many have heard of it, it exists in most WMS (now Scientific Games) based video poker machine.

Triple Triple Bonus builds on top of Triple Double Bonus with two notable changes.

There is another jackpot outcome where if the player gets a 4 of a Kind 2s, 3s, 4s (a.k.a “low quad”) and the 5th card kicker is an Ace, a payout equivalent to the Royal Flush of 4000 credits. At the expense of this additional bonus, the Straight payout is cut from 4 for 1 (20 credits) to 3 for 1 (15 credits), but this additional premium quad outcome outweighs the negative.

The one place I know where this game exists on an IGT machine is at the Majestic Star in Gary, Indiana for quarters, half-dollars, and dollar denomination.

This report is entirely inspired from pokerpokerpoker’s recent big win (4000 quarter credits for $1000) on this game, can be found on this thread: Link

In the middle of the thread, pokerpokerpoker is indeed right, there is no published strategy because the game is uncommon. Thus it will be a good opportunity to showcase another good feature of this website’s flagship product, Video Poker for Winners in which you can use to train for this unique game.

A few steps is all it takes to get it done:

Open Video Poker for Winners and then the Game King for single line play
On the Games menu, select Triple Double Bonus at 9/6
Once the game loads, go to the Options menu and select Change Paytable…

Once the Edit Paytable appears, click Edit Categories button
Find 4 2s, 3s, 4s w/Ace, 2, 3, 4, select it on the list and push the Change button

We are going to customize the trigger of this outcome by renaming the outcome by removing the “Ace,” so it will read “4 2s,3s,4s w/2,3,4”. On the Kicker Rank, uncheck the A box all the right in the bottom right and click OK button.

Back on the Custom Paytable option, we now select the Add Four of a Kind button to the left

Give it a Name of “4 2s, 3s, 4s w/Ace”, set pay at Bet 1 to 800 and set pay at Bet 5 to 4000. Click on Specify for the Winning Rank, and for the Winning Rank, leave only 2, 3, 4 selected. Click on Specify for the Kicker Rank, and leave just the Ace kicker. Click OK when done.

Click OK to close Custom Paytable
On the Payout page. Be sure to change the Straight Payout to 3 at 1 Coin and 15 at 5 Coin.
*For WMS machines, you must also change the Straight Flush to 55 at 1 Coin and 275 at 5 Coin.

11. Click OK to finish. Give the Paytable name of “Triple Triple Bonus 9/6” and save.

There you have it. I’ve played until I made an error. You can look at the strategy that is generated from the Analyze menu.

The game is rated at 99.75% return with a variance of 133! So I was able to verify this guide to be feasible.

FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Post by FloridaPhil »

OMG, More variance!!!  Why don't you just throw yourself in front of a bus? 

pokerpokerpoker
VP Veteran

Post by pokerpokerpoker »

Awesome work, Alpax! I have VPW and will have to try this out.

And Phil, variance can be your friend hiding just around the corner. With 3 ways to hit 4000 credits and chances at 2000 and 800 credits - you only need one good one every few trips. I like to play for the big win, and I can't play all day to "wait" out a royal. If my aim was to play all day, with small BR swings, obviously games like this aren't ideal. Of course, a quick bust-out is a real possibility. Indiana has a bad state tax policy on signers, coupled with even a modest tip you are looking at 5% reduction on any hand-pays - so dollars and even halves are out. But for a $200 trip BR for quarters, 99.75% is pretty sporty.

FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Post by FloridaPhil »

Whatever floats your boat.  I like to play longer, so it wouldn't work for me.  I play TDB on this website for points only and I enjoy it.    I hit quad aces and a royal this morning, so I'm king for a day.  Maybe... 

alpax
Video Poker Master

Post by alpax »

Awesome work, Alpax! I have VPW and will have to try this out.

Not a problem, PPP. You can at least practice now without going in blind anymore.

I need to give you a heads up that the strategy generator is not completely intelligent. Most of the existing game strategies were pre made since it was refined by Mr. Dancer. The generator got most of the cases except for:

Break Full Houses of 2s,3s,4s full + kicker pairs

Hold High Pairs over all 3 to the Royal

4 to the Flush beats 3 to a Royal

When there is 3 to straight flush within 4 to an outside straight, hold the straight flush draw

QJ suited beats all 3 to Straight Flush

The King-Jack Unsuited vs Jack-Ten Suited situation applies.

Whatever floats your boat.  I like to play longer, so it wouldn't work for me.  I play TDB on this website for points only and I enjoy it.    I hit quad aces and a royal this morning, so I'm king for a day.  Maybe... 

I do not mean any offense, but it would be best to not patronize people who choose to play this game or DDB/TDB. People will know if a high variance game is right for them after 50 hours of play. I am sure they hold themselves financially responsible for what they do.

I believe if someone playing this game for quarters can put someone in a big financial hurt, they are not well off financially to begin with.

I know you are big on DW and your selling point is that you get 1000 credit win every 5000 hands. But the selling point for this Triple Triple Bonus game (if one is able to make it to Majestic Star, probably the players from Illinois, Indiana, and Michigan) is that you get a 4000 credit win once every 5794 hands on average. I think that is the reasoning PPP stated.

I have a feeling that Ted might enjoy this particular game.

Finally, congrats on the results for your play today.

pokerpokerpoker
VP Veteran

Post by pokerpokerpoker »

Alpx, I got it set up last night.

Are you saying that the strategy that is generated by the program isn't accurate? For example, if dealt a high pair and 3 to a royal the program will give the wrong advice? Or not correct me if I hold the wrong cards?

FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Post by FloridaPhil »

[quote=alpax]I do not mean any offense, but it would be best to not patronize people who choose to play this game or DDB/TDB[/quote]I'm not patronizing or disparaging anyone for playing any VP game no matter what the variance.  I'm saying it would scare the crap out of me. 

alpax
Video Poker Master

Post by alpax »

I'm not patronizing or disparaging anyone for playing any VP game no matter what the variance.  I'm saying it would scare the crap out of me. 

I understand now, thanks for the clarification. Enjoy VP anyway possible.

Alpx, I got it set up last night.

Are you saying that the strategy that is generated by the program isn't accurate? For example, if dealt a high pair and 3 to a royal the program will give the wrong advice? Or not correct me if I hold the wrong cards?

Sorry for all the confusion, I should have mentioned that it is important that you look at the Strategy Error reports because it is a completely new game and the strategy errors are more than 0.01% from what it generated. That is where I listed out some of the holds, because I looked at it and some of the exceptions are significant in coin return.

Normally strategy charts are refined by a human expert at the end since generalizing is not good enough. That is where Mr. Dancer came in and refined the strategy for most of the common games.

The program itself is accurate on the holds and plays. It will correct you every time you make even the tiniest mistake. I still think it is your best option right now as a training resource.

Hope this clarifies things.

Vman96
Video Poker Master

Post by Vman96 »

KJ off vs. JT suited situation?

Which is it? JT suited?

Did video poker for winners also get holding 22A,33A, and 44A correctly? Guessing it did, but it's a strategy change worth pointing out to the readers anyway.

alpax
Video Poker Master

Post by alpax »

KJ off vs. JT suited situation?

Which is it? JT suited?

Did video poker for winners also get holding 22A,33A, and 44A correctly? Guessing it did, but it's a strategy change worth pointing out to the readers anyway.

I meant to refer to the common JT suited over KJ unsuited unless there is a flush penalty to the JT suited.

For the 22A, 33A, 44A part, I'll get back later on that since I do not have VPW in front of me right now.