Magic Deal Poker Strategy for DDB Players

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
Webman
Video Poker Master

Re: Magic Deal Poker Strategy for DDB Players

Post by Webman »

In what may or may not be a controversial decision, the first Magic Card contest will not feature TDB.Strategically, that should make for some interesting decisions given the bonus frequencies as noted above (for those who take the time to think about it).

alpax
Video Poker Master

Post by alpax »

[QUOTE=alpax]

Both have 9.50% frequencies, so the bigger boost seen in 9/5 DDB can only be compensated through higher 2 or 3 card Magic Card rates than 9/6 DDB.

I wouldnt expect this to be the case. I think bigger boost in 9/5 DDB is seen due to the base game simply contributing less to the overall return. The same phenomenon exists in dream card.

For example, X = Magic Card return

9/6 DDB:
0.98981*0.905 + X*0.095 = 0.99398*2

X=11.49665

Now plug into 9/5 DDB...you had a typo in this number:
0.97873*0.905 + 11.49665*0.095 = 1.9779326

1.9779326/2 = 0.9890 which is higher than the 98.77% claimed for 9/5 DDB. But this also makes sense because sometimes the magic card will make a flush the best possible deal, or you back into one on the draw. And you'll get paid less on that with the 9/5 paytable.

I see players screwing this up a lot by going for regular flush or straight draws with the magic card. Probably won't take off like dream card.
[/QUOTE]

Much appreciated for the heads up on the math, as I see the Bonus feature's return weighed so high that it lessens the gap between the return of 9/5 and 9/6 DDB. 9/5 DDB paytable looks to be decent.

I also realized that I have an error on the spreadsheet for the 2 Magic Cards. I counted the Flush odds as the same as Straights on the macro since I had to indicate Full House is not possible with 2 Magic Cards. Edited and corrected on the main page. Return is now 3877.63%

I could understand people going for a Flush if there are 3 suited cards with 1 Magic Card. Doing that will be a rather big mistake. So losses will mount before the player gets a chance to experience easier Royal Flushes.

On the strategy, a lone King is never held with 1 Magic Card. A lone 2, 3, 4 is more valuable than Queen or Jack.

The game is growing on me.

That's a good sign!

In what may or may not be a controversial decision, the first Magic Card contest will not feature TDB.Strategically, that should make for some interesting decisions given the bonus frequencies as noted above (for those who take the time to think about it).

It would make for a more competitive contest, so I am on the side that applauds the decision.

A Jacks or Better player who gets a good deal of cards with Magic cards has a fighting chance!   

Webman
Video Poker Master

Post by Webman »

It would make for a more competitive contest, so I am on the side that applauds the decision.
   I'll just print this out and stick it on my desk as a reminder for when the hate mail starts arriving.

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

Would that hate mail be postmarked from "The Outer Sanctum?"

alpax
Video Poker Master

Post by alpax »

I played this game for some stretch this weekend.

Yesterday I was able to hit 3 Royal Flushes on 10 play 9/6 DDB, but ended the day's score with -21,000.

Got my first 3 Magic Card Draw today with an unfavorable hand, players must play for many hours to get this fulfilling opportunity.

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

You made the right call holding just the 3 magic cards alpax and this is a perfect example of what I've mentioned before about looking THROUGH the hand. Undoubtedly there will be shortsighted players out the who will hold either the 5 or 8 without thinking about pulling a premium card in the draw (A/2/3/4) with the extended possibility of also drawing a kicker. Nice picture.

alpax
Video Poker Master

Post by alpax »

I went with the strategy that I generated and I discarded both the 5 and the 8. Both cards were unsuited, but if it was suited, a player might hold both! The player holds preferably an Ace; but if they do not get an Ace, then the interesting part is if they get one card either 2,3,4 and another card 10,J,Q,K. Both have equal EV (616 credits) so it is up to the player if they want at least 400 and can win up to 2000 OR if they sacrifice and take at least 250 for a chance at Royals at 4000.

Unfortunately I was not able to get 2 Royal Flush cards on the draw on any of the hands, wanted to see the Magic Cards fill out a Royal Flush. I did see it for 2 Magic Cards, I had an Ace, then drew the Queen and 10. The Magic Cards turned into the King and Jack.

Definitely it is fulfilling to get 3 Magic Cards, I regret not keep accurate records on how much I played to have that one opportunity. I finally get to show prospective players what it is like to finally get 3 Magic Cards even though it fell short of the 857 credit per hand expected average. At the same time I had to be honest that I lost 21,000 credits yesterday. With that 3 Magic Card win, I won 8400 credits for the day.

Vman96
Video Poker Master

Post by Vman96 »

In true contest fashion, I hit a royal of course. Fortunately I'm not in a drought right now!

Game can get interesting when you get at least 2 Magic Cards!

Also, you include 2 cards to a straight flush in your strategy. Is that with no gaps only plus J9 suited?

alpax
Video Poker Master

Post by alpax »

In true contest fashion, I hit a royal of course. Fortunately I'm not in a drought right now!

Game can get interesting when you get at least 2 Magic Cards!

Also, you include 2 cards to a straight flush in your strategy. Is that with no gaps only plus J9 suited?

I was able to hit a few Royals in this game the past 3 days! Normally it is once per a few months in between on this website.

I did mean to state 2 cards with no gaps but Jack+9 suited is the only exception. I edited the strategy to make it more clear.

"26.     Two Card No Gap Straight Flush (Jack + 9 is the only exception with 1 gap) (13.3)"

A single 2, 3, 4 card still beats a two card straight flush which many players may unknowingly miss.

I also added for the lone Queen: [Discard All if a same suit 9 or 2 suited cards are present]

There is no situation where a lone King is held with the magic card.

WhitneyReed

Post by WhitneyReed »

It took me a few rounds of the weekly contest to realize that the magic of the Magic card is based on the *draw* rather than the deal. I was approaching it like Dream Card, but it's really more like a Joker I guess.

Looks like DDB has the lowest rate of Magic cards, at least of the selections in the contest.

It's fun enough playing for free, but I can't see playing this IRL unless I hit the Powerball first.