Against the odds...

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
Gmitch36
Forum Rookie

Against the odds...

Post by Gmitch36 »

This post is for fifty/hundred play regulars. I am a math teacher, so I understand the perfect play associated with single line play for DDB. You are supposed to hold 4 low cards to an inside straight, because the expected value is 1.7021 to 1.63, but through trial and error, I seem to always make more money throwing the hand away instead of keeping the inside straight draw. Any comments?? Experimental probability seems to trump theoretical probability, at least to me.

FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Post by FloridaPhil »

[quote=Gmitch36] I seem to always make more money throwing the hand away instead of keeping the inside straight draw. Any comments??[/quote]As you know, video poker math formulas are calculated in a perfect world into infinity. This does not mean they are guaranteed to be infallible within the short time you are playing.   In time math says the correct play is to go for inside straights.  If you throw all your cards away and hit something better, you will be convinced the math is wrong or at least question it's accuracy.  Been there, done that...Play strategy used in VPW software for example is calculated using a computer.  This software allows you to see the "cost" of going against the computer based strategy.  Some of these "alterations" cost a very low percentage of your bet.   Professionals make big bets, so to them any error is costly.   If you want to play 100% computer correct, use the computer based strategy.  If you play video poker for fun or entertainment play any way you want, but know the cost of doing so.