Thoughts For Beginners

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
rapidbison
Forum Regular

Re: Thoughts For Beginners

Post by rapidbison »

And maybe ask him how to factor taxation into the return of a game above quarter level...please...

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

And maybe ask him how to factor taxation into the return of a game above quarter level...please... What's the significance of quarter level and less, versus above quarter level?

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

[QUOTE=rapidbison] And maybe ask him how to factor taxation into the return of a game above quarter level...please... What's the significance of quarter level and less, versus above quarter level?[/QUOTE]

It's a technicalegally thing.
No, I won't ask him that. He's a video poker expert, not a tax scholar. Pay an expert if you need one.

rapidbison
Forum Regular

Post by rapidbison »

Then he's no expert in calculating comps/cashback to the upside either......

rapidbison
Forum Regular

Post by rapidbison »

Then he's no expert calculating comps/cashback.....

rapidbison
Forum Regular

Post by rapidbison »

Then he's no expert.....

FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Post by FloridaPhil »

[quote=rapidbison]Then he's no expert.....[/quote]If you are looking for a Bob Dancer bashing forum, you came to the wrong place.  I suggest you get over it.  All it will get you is high blood pressure.  The doctor will give you some little white pills to fix it and then your problems will really begin. 

rapidbison
Forum Regular

Post by rapidbison »

My point is....Dancer or not....why doesn't anyone openly talk about the downside of taxation to preciously coveted paytables/return calculations on this forum????

"Hello, my name is Rapidbison...and I'm a recovering dancerholic."

"HELLO, RAPIDBISON!"

rapidbison
Forum Regular

Post by rapidbison »

I thought 'Thoughts for Beginners' should include a real, unimaginable pitfall when moving up in denomination above non-progressive quarters.....even if you are from a no-tax state like me---and get nicked in IA or MS.....anyway...my last post on this thread.....Good luck everyone...Only seriously play for fun with what you can seriously afford to lose....

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

[QUOTE=billryan] When playing multi line machines,shouldn't you only count the first line? For example, let's take a ten play machine. If on the drawer, one holds a pair, then it's impossible to draw a Royal on all ten hands. Playing multiline is really playing the same dealt hand several times in a row. Granted, if that dealt hand does not provide a royal draw opportunity, none of the draws will produce a royal. Doesn't that happen in single line play as well - you go many, many consecutive hands with no royal draw opportunity?

The other side of that coin is being dealt three or four to the royal, and having multiple chances to hit. Over time, I think, this clumping of dealt hand types and draw opportunities resulting from multiline play will smooth out, and the overall opportunities per deal will be similar to single line. This is particularly so with respect to my results from in the neighbourhood of 750,000 individual deals. I do not, however, have a strong enough math and statistical background to back this opinion up.

In any event, at the end of a playing session, I take note of my total play, how much I won or lost, and royals, if any. I don't much care which hand they were on.

All of the foregoing was, I guess, a long way of replying: I don't think so.

I believe you often attend Bob Dancers classes. It might be interesting to put this question to him, and get his opinion. [/QUOTE]

So I asked him about this. Real quick answer
is it doesn't change the EV, but does change both the variance and CO-variance.
He also said he might discuss it in a future column.