Monthly contest strategy

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
Onenickelmiracl

Monthly contest strategy

Post by Onenickelmiracl »

Which strategy deviations do you use playing super double double bonus?

I'm not sure what to gamble on. I'll go for a royal, three to a royal tossing high pairs besides aces. I do not hold ace ten suited, but should I for the contest? High card J,Q,K trips I'll hold a kicker. Should I break fhs with J,Q,K,whether kicker or not? Should I break two pair holding low pair 2,3,4s? Etc, etc.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

If you are serious about VP, you should buy software or join as a gold member. The only way to learn is to have a computer correct your mistakes. I have mine set to deliver an almost ear shattering claxon when I make a mistake.

New2vp
Video Poker Master

Post by New2vp »

Bill, I agree with a lot of your posts. However, here onenickel is talking about maximizing the probability of winning a contest rather than maximizing expected monetary winnings (or minimizing expected losses).

Traditional vp software doesn't show how to do that ... at least not directly.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

Good Point. I know absolutely nothing about super double double bonus. I thought he was asking for deviations from JOB.

Onenickelmiracl

You must need two royals or many awak to get the top 100. No other way around it. My 1/47 chances, never seem lucky yet, but they're out there somewhere. Yeah Billryan, tournament contest strategy. Wizardofodds is where I usually get my info. I suppose I can recalculate a royal for an ev situation to get a start on breaking from the typical. Maybe inflate the big hands and go from there. It's certain the royals are essential, but I'm not sure about the other hands. I can pretend a royal pays 10,000, but not sure where to judge other hands.

Vman96
Video Poker Master

Post by Vman96 »

Trip face cards with kicker is correct anyway, fwiw.

Three to a royal instead of KK-JJ is probably the only big change that could be beneficial and less beneficial in Super DDB than most games since 4 Faces plus Ace/Face is worth 800.

Onenickelmiracl

Thanks. Thought a revolutionary approach was needed, but guess it's just 95% luck.

edog743
Video Poker Master

Post by edog743 »

The winner of the contest last month had one royal for the month.

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

The winner of the contest last month had one royal for the month. That's a real surprise. I've made it into the top ten of the monthly contest twice, and each time I had at least two, if not three, royals. I was still a full royal short of contending for first place.

That winner must have had a super abundance of other premium hands.

ukaserex
Forum Regular

Post by ukaserex »

The winner of the contest last month had one royal for the month.

That's ...unsettling. They were over 4 royals ahead of me - and I got a Royal! Day after day of zero quads....