Mandi1225
Forum Newbie

Re: Not a bad week so far.

Post by Mandi1225 »

Sorry, I'm close to being blind

FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Post by FloridaPhil »

I just returned from another weekly trip to the Tampa Hard Rock.  Since dropping down to a 97% quarter game instead of a 98.9% 50 cent game, my return has significantly improved.  How can this be?This is not a training session.  This is show and tell.  I can see that playing quarters allows me to play more hands in a day giving me more chances at a royal or a quad deuce.   I usually take a bankroll of $300 with me on one of these day trips. When I run out of money, I leave and go home.   If I don't hit at least one royal or quad deuce, I tend to play until I bust and lose my entire day's bankroll.   If I play 50 cents a coin, I have less chances to hit  one or the other.  If I double my daily bankroll to $600, I get better odds but I risk losing $600 a day or double my maximum quarter daily loss.I am in no way inferring that bad odds pay better than good.   If all things were equal, playing games with the lower odds would be stupid.   I do know when playing negative games, VP math is turned on it's head and each hand played takes more money out of your wallet.  I find playing small, slow and steady a better personal strategy than risking more money to buy better odds.A few week's play is not nearly enough time to claim a trend of any kind.  All I can say at this point is, so far so good.  There's something going on here.  I'm not sure what it's telling me, but my wallet likes it.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

Congratulations. My wallet had a fine day as well. I planned to play a ton of quarter JOB at Borgata. Just wanted lunch at Harrah's. I wound up staying for five hours, playing 3.5 lucky hours. The first 2.5 hours were a bust. No quads. I finally succumbed and busted my $160 bankroll. ATM walk of shame. I now had $140. I returned to the carousel. Some clown in a tent of a tee shirt took my machine. WTH. $64 an hour to rent it, so enjoy. Zen served me well. I cashed out $340 on the free machine and finally dined. I returned later to squeeze even more cash. Same clown at cold machine. I lost $140, but had the nerve to endure. Cashed out $375. Worth hanging around two more hours and inflating to 243 TC. Harrah's screwed the low rollers in my absence. They switched the quarter JOB carousel to $1/$2. Maybe people were complaining about $50 coin in per TC. My bet is pure greed as cause. They were deserted.

FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Post by FloridaPhil »

FAA, we have much in common.   This issue of odds vs. denomination is worth discussing.  It is also typical of many issues that have me negative on some traditional strategy assumptions.  I'll start anther thread on the Recreational forum to see if we can learn anything.  Should be interesting.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

I should have simply voted with my feet. Borgata is maybe a quarter mile away! I dodged a bullet this time.