How much $$ to play 2000 hands of 9/7 TDB?

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
pokerpokerpoker
VP Veteran

How much $$ to play 2000 hands of 9/7 TDB?

Post by pokerpokerpoker »

Hey gang, lately I have been playing 9/7 TDB with it's 99.58% payback and 98.3 variance. Is there a way to calculate the average bankroll to last 2000 hands? Obviously the cost would range from 5-10000 credits, but what would be an average amount needed?

I have the strategy down well, and so far results have been $-200, $+705, $-200, and $-200 - for sessions of around an hour.

alpax
Video Poker Master

Post by alpax »

Since you own Video Poker for Winners and I have seen more than enough to believe you are a coachable player, I will respond.

Under the assumption that you are very accurate (99.8% or better with mistakes being 0.1 credits or less) with the 9/7 TDB strategy, you will need 3600 units to guarantee yourself through a 2000 hand session. I hope you are one of the players who hold the kicker when dealt trip Aces, 2s, 3s, or 4s.

The 7 for 1 Flush games are tough to master, and the results you have experienced are very typical. 45% of the time you will lose more than $200 (800 Units) which seems to be the bankroll you seem to have allocated on a 2000 hand session provided you have more money on you to survive the session.

For Quarters it will be: $900
For Half Dollars it will be: $1800
For Dollars it will be: $3600

I assume this will be played at Majestic Star. Since Half Dollars are taxable for 4 Aces with Kicker or Royal Flush, you might need more than 3600 units for that denomination. Same with dollars.

pokerpokerpoker
VP Veteran

Post by pokerpokerpoker »

Thanks, Alpax.

Most of your assumptions are correct. Using the VPW strategy, the game isn't hard to get a high degree of accuracy. Seems like the VPW condenses much of the strategy to make it more user friendly - while only giving up a few cents per hour. Long ago I looked at the WOO strategy, and decided not to bother with this game - too many distinctions between certain pairs and certain 3SF ect.

But, how did you come up with 3600 credits? Using VPW BR calculator? Or some kind of pencil and paper calculations?

The reason I ask about 2000 hands is because the odds of hitting 800, 2000 or 4000 credits is pretty good - if you can last 2000 hands. I haven't lasted 2000 hands yet, either I was up enough to go home (hit 2 cheap quads, aces, and SQW/k for the good day) or went bust. With Indiana's state tax laws and needing funds for a house we are getting ready to build, halves and dollars are not happening. Besides, the MS is real tight with mail if you play the FP Game Kings or the 5 Star. I usually get $5 FP, but only if I run $500 coin in.

Thanks again.

alpax
Video Poker Master

Post by alpax »

You are welcome.

Speaking of VPW, I did use that and I forgot to include how you can calculate bankroll for your other needs after making a reference to it.

For your scenario

How I came up with this value is

1. Select Single Line Game King
2. Select the game Triple Double Bonus 9/7 99.578%
3. Go to Analyze Menu and Select Bankroll

A) The Stake ($) value is the bankroll you are starting off of.

B) The # of Rounds value is the number of hands you wish you play.

You will have to use guesswork by adjusting the Stake ($) value, each time you push Run. If you can live with 10% ruin (meaning you will last 9 out of every 10 visits) you will notice the bankroll requirement is much smaller.

I did the guesswork until the ruin was at 0% but it was at $900.

The middle line between the red and green is your starting bankroll. The bar plots are where your outcome percentage is. It is rather high on the last part.

Yes you do need the 2s,3s,4s with kicker and Ace Quads to end a 2000 hand session on a winning note, but that is the nature of the game you are willing to play. The average of hitting the 800,2000 credit hand is near 1 in 2000 you are seeking.