What's your take on this Statement...

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
Raner

What's your take on this Statement...

Post by Raner »

The text inside the red box got my attention.
This is the first time I've have seen anything written mentioning short term payback on video poker.
Does anyone here own this book. I'm interested to find out what strategy adjustments were made for short term play.
Is anyone here familiar with this author...

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

As you mentioned in another thread, a player can expect to get nothing about 55% of the time on any one hand. That's about as short term as you can get.
If you had a million dollars, would you play it all on one hand or play a million hands at $1 each?
Assuming you are not a fool, you'd go with the million hands.
Now ask yourself, does it matter if I play those million hands in a row or split them up into a thousand sessions of a thousand hands? Five hundred sessions of two thousand hands?
Can anyone show the math that states 500 sessions of two thousand hands at 96% is better than a million hands at 98.9%?
Do you do anything in your life for the short term, disregarding the long term ramifications.
My dog does, but he isn't capable of rational thought.
My kids used to, until they learned how to think better.
Junkies do. They only care about getting their fix this moment, the future be damned.
Are you a dog? A child? A junkie?

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

Martin Jensen worked for years in the medical field. He has sold many articles, a screenplay and also written successfully for the theatre. His interest is comedy and the human bazaar. His first book of informed irony, "How to Keep Fit Without Exercise", has made our list. And "How to Get What You Want" is in the works.

There you have it. He will teach you to both win at video poker and get fit without exercising.
Ask all three people who have reviewed his book.

Raner

Post by Raner »

Hey Bill...
I didn't write the book, I was just curious on what the author stated and that I would like to see the chart of what adjustments were made to the strategy for short term.There is no reason for you to compare me to a DOG, CHILD OR JUNKIE... That SH#T is completely uncalled for to anyone posting on this forum or any other...

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

You searched out the book. Did you bother reading the reviews? Evidently he doesn't concern himself with paytables or game variations.
As far as you being offended by what I wrote, are you any of those things? If not, how did I offend you?.
I assume you are a rational adult who understands why short term thinking is not the way to do anything in life.

This guy published his book in 2003. Do you think it's a coincidence that it is so obscure?

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

Read the last paragraph of the book blurb.
Doesn't it negate what he says in the first?

In addition to helping you win at slots and video poker, heals written books on blackjack, roulette and more, and yet he is unknown in the world of APs.
In this day and age, anyone can self publish anything.

Raner

Post by Raner »

I found that Tit-Bit of the book online on a pdf file...
Yes, I'm a rational adult (65 in May). But I also get pissed off pretty damn easy ...
You could have used some other phase other than the one you used to get your point across...

paco13
VP Veteran

Post by paco13 »

The FMCSA considers smoking cigarettes/Nicotene as narcotic use. So I guess I'm a junkie.

I'm not a canine but I do partake in tail chasing. Just not my own.

I suppose I could be considered a youngster at 46 by many on this forum.

But I'm still not offended Billy.

It would be interesting to see the strategy proposed by the author for short term. Many of us approach the game that way. Life is short. Not interesting enough for me to spend BR money on his book though.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Oh I know I am definitely a child, a dog, and a junkie. At 68 years old, I just raced a bunch of kids and teens at NASCART at speeds up to 45 mph. Beat them all. I think I was the only one over 25 in the race. I still love and partake unfortunately fairly regularly junk food of all types even though I still count calories for the day. A dog.....definitely though happily married 45 years, I can't help but flirting with the gals a third my age and have been known to still wag my own tail with mixed results on occasion.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

Keeping a pair of Jacks over four to a Royal or Straight Flush should give you short term gains.
Of course the best short term strategy is not to play at all. Playing JOB over any other game should give you a perceived short term gain, but its really just reduced variance.