Farewell again

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Re: Farewell again

Post by FloridaPhil »

[quote=Tedlark]The logical question to ask you is: why do you even care? Why would you
openly state your disgust here? How in the name of the 2016 World
Champion Chicago Cubs would Bob Dancer's son in law being a professional
gambler affect your life? The lives of your children? Your
grandchildren? or even you soon to be great-grandchildren?[/quote]Ask this question on the Recreational Forum and I will be happy to answer you.  Thanks!

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

I asked this here because you made the post here.

Decorum would call for answering it here.

FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Post by FloridaPhil »

[quote=Tedlark]How in the name of the 2016 World
Champion Chicago Cubs would Bob Dancer's son in law being a professional
gambler affect your life? The lives of your children? Your
grandchildren? or even you soon to be great-grandchildren?[/quote]Ted, I have committed not to post on the Strategy forum.  Please post your new question on the Recreational Forum.  This issue is important to me and I am looking forward to the opportunity of providing my answer.I have already answered your previous question on the Recreational forum under the title "Response to Tedlark's Post".  You can post your latest question under my answer if you wish.   I do not wish to be called a liar again on this website and will abide by my commitment unless I am forced into breaking it.

pokerforme

Post by pokerforme »

This forum is better off with Bob Dancer.
This forum is better off without Florida Phil.
Can't make it any planner.

I agree. It's sad to me if I have to make that choice though. I seldom come to the forum because of 2 posters who are here to wreck havoc. There is knowledge and information from most posters but people like Bob take it to the highest level. Phil seems like a great guy but his insistence on people seeing it his way based on his experience OR conclusions are a major factor. Just because you don't like a person or see things the same way doesn't give you a right to ruin it for others. Too bad this forum no longer has a heavy handed moderator to end the discussion once and for all.

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

I do not agree with your assessment of what happened between Mr. Dancer and myself.
I thought he nailed it pretty well.

Vman96
Video Poker Master

Post by Vman96 »

[QUOTE=billryan] This forum is better off with Bob Dancer.
This forum is better off without Florida Phil.
Can't make it any planner.

I agree. It's sad to me if I have to make that choice though. I seldom come to the forum because of 2 posters who are here to wreck havoc. There is knowledge and information from most posters but people like Bob take it to the highest level. Phil seems like a great guy but his insistence on people seeing it his way based on his experience OR conclusions are a major factor. Just because you don't like a person or see things the same way doesn't give you a right to ruin it for others. Too bad this forum no longer has a heavy handed moderator to end the discussion once and for all.[/QUOTE]

Actually I feel like both Bob and Phil are both like this. But at least any data Bob states can be backed up by mathematics. But he also has been known to criticize people, sometimes pretty damn harshly, for not doing the best they possibly could playing VP. Personally I don't see the point in doing this. You can't make a horse drink. Also if people really do follow you, then your livelihood also becomes weaker.

He would also eschew most of the games I played last trip because I was still on the strip and wanted to get drunk and have fun. I KNOW there is better VP available in Vegas than what I played. I did tend to play the "best" choices for the locations I wanted to play in. But I still was there on vacation with others, so I wasn't going to drag them to some hole in the wall they didn't want to go to just for better VP.

Webman
Video Poker Master

Post by Webman »

Your (not-so) heavy-handed moderator here… clearly some things need to change and we appreciate everyone’s thoughts on the matter.
While I too thought FP's farewell post meant a complete absence from the forum (reading it again, it still looks that way) I don't think a complete ban is called for. I understand the view that some of his opinions could be harmful to players just learning or who intend to play an advantage style, but I also understand his argument for a purely recreational player discussion.

Because there are inevitably other players out there with the same views, I think it's an important learning process that those views are shared, but also responded to as people are generally good about. Where it gets messy is when people see themselves as “teachers” without the necessary qualifications to back it up (and who is supposed to decide that?) or those who continually argue for things despite rational arguments to the contrary. Worse, some discussions turn into months-long bickering between just a few people, which nobody else really appreciates. How much of that is helpful, and how much of it just wears people down and makes the forum less enjoyable for everyone? That's a difficult line to walk.

Since FloridaPhil has committed to not posting in the strategy forum, I will be adjusting preferences to only permit posts in other areas. To be fair, that should also mean people do not discuss him or his strategies in that area since he will be unable to respond.
Further, in the interest of continuing to have a "recreational" discussion, I will be adding clear disclaimers to that area and any posts in it, stating what that section of the forum is intended for and also that players might be better informed in the strategy portion of the forum if they are looking to improve their play beyond a purely recreational interest.

This will not preclude players from offering their own warnings or advice in the recreational area should there be discussion of theories or strategies that are genuinely not helpful or based on falsehood, myth, or improper analysis.

Generally speaking, we try to let discussions play out as long as people remain within the forum rules. However, when 90% of the posts are by a select few having personal debates/arguments, that is not healthy for the forum or those looking for other information. So in the future, some people may simply be asked to take these arguments offline and contact one another personally, or leave it alone and not address one another further in the forum. I don’t like that, I don’t see any other way for things to find a better balance without simply banning people, which I believe should be a last resort.

Thanks again for the feedback that everyone has provided. Hopefully the forum will be a place where all feel welcome and discussions will take place in their appropriate place and manner.

I will close this topic now so people can see this final reply. Please resume discussions in the appropriate areas.