Snatching Victory from the jaws of Defeat

Discussion about gambling in Atlantic City
Carcounter
Video Poker Master

Snatching Victory from the jaws of Defeat

Post by Carcounter »

So on Friday after thinking about it, headed down to the Borgata for the afternoon. Have had 5 straight losing sessions, giving back most of the 4k dollar royal I had back at the end of April. Playing .50 SDB was down $400 pretty quickly. No quads for about 2 hrs. Had about 15-20 minutes left and decided to switch to the Bonus Deuces game that has a lower payback (98.9), but has bailed me out at times with my last $200. After 5 minutes, hold a lone deuce, get the other 3, no kicker and am now up $100. Figure I'll play down the hundred to zero and leave. Dealt 3 deuces, pull the fourth, again no kicker, but am now up $600. Cash out and have a happier trip up the Parkway home. Always nice to break a losing streak.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

Congratulations. You figure the last hundred would meet the same fate as its predecessors. I can barely handle being down $100.

Come Back Kid
Video Poker Master

Post by Come Back Kid »

Nice comeback Carcounter...Congrats!

Carcounter
Video Poker Master

Post by Carcounter »

5x slot dollars at Borgata today. Will try to get down by 2 PM or so. Most good machines likely will be taken by then though.

Carcounter
Video Poker Master

Post by Carcounter »

Well got a seat at a machine with 9/6 Jacks yesterday. Wish I didn't. Got crushed on $1.00 Jacks. Lost $ 750. Could not believe the lack of converting low pairs to a paying hand. Plus only one quad in 2&2/2 hrs.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

Misery loves company. Horrible session, Car. Glad I avoided Borgata yesterday. My disaster was a few hundred yards away at Harrah's. -$110. I too went down on dollar JOB. Might as well play slots and chase the big money. I was dealt four Aces at Bally's. $19 for my seventy five cents.

Carcounter
Video Poker Master

Post by Carcounter »

Yesterday, the .50 Bonus Deuces bailed me out again. I cannot believe my lack of good fortune on the 9/5 SDB game with a theo of 99.69%. I practice and make very few, and very small mistakes. Played 2 hrs without any quads am down $600. I see others hitting the quads all the time, but not me, so I am not saying something is gaffed, I just have no luck with that game lately.

Carcounter
Video Poker Master

Post by Carcounter »

So I switch to the Bonus Deuces still at .50. Slightly less than a 99% game with about 15 minutes left before I need to leave. Hold 2 deuces and up pop the other 2, with an ace. Cash out and leave immediately, up $400.This has happened time and time again to me. I can't bring myself to start on a game that has a theo of.7% less than SDB, but maybe I should.

BobDancer
Video Poker Master

Post by BobDancer »

I can't bring myself to start on a game that has a theo of.7% less than SDB, but maybe I should.No you shouldn't --- if you care about winning long term. And you shouldn't end up there either.Your score over the past 1-100 hours on a particular game is irrelevant. The game will live up to it's EV over time.Assuming you're playing 800 hands per hour, that's $2000 coin-in on a 50 cent game. Voluntarily giving up 0.7% is $14 per hour over time. That average WILL catch up to you. You sound like a guy who plays hundreds of hours a year --- which means you are willing to give up THOUSANDS of dollars a year.Worrying a whole lot about today's score, and making silly game choices because of where your score is relative to what it was when you got out of bed this morning, makes you eligible for the Recreational Forum here. That's what they talk about over there.If you wish to argue with me, fine, but first move this thread to the video poker strategy section where it is more protected.

Carcounter
Video Poker Master

Post by Carcounter »

Bob, I know. I was being facetious. I have been with you much longer than most members of this forum. Even in post-recession AC, I have managed to hold my own. Prior to 2007, I was a consistent winner, when we had 100% plus games like All American and much more generous slot clubs. Don't get on me too hard.