Magic Deal strategy question

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
matginlv
Forum Rookie

Magic Deal strategy question

Post by matginlv »

Have a question regarding Magic Deal. I was at The Orleans here in Vegas last week, and did fairly well on it. Playing $.25 3 line DDB, had it deal me 4 Aces (didn't get any kickers) and then 3 hands later an Ace and 3 Magic Deals, which ended up with one line hitting with a kicker. Walked away, and an hour or so later I went back to the same machine and had it deal me 10D, 9C and 3 Magic Deals. I kept the 10D and it resolved to a straight flush, a royal flush and 4 10s. I'm not sure it was the right play, but it obviously worked out well.

My question is this for the next time I'm there, possibly this coming weekend(I'm not a Gold Member so can't turn the trainer on to practice here) - if I'm dealt J K, J Q or Q K off-suited with two or three Magic Deals, what is the correct play - keep the low card, keep the high card or keep both and take the 3 (or more) 4OAK and wait for a better spot to chase a royal?

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

I'm going to throw a fourth choice for you to ponder: keep only the Magic Deal cards?

Oops, forgot to add: congrats on your luck.

matginlv
Forum Rookie

Post by matginlv »

Thanks Tedlark. It never occurred to me to play the hand as I would if I were dealt 2 or 3 deuces in DW. I was stuck on playing the hand as if I had to make the best possible one with the dealt cards showing.

Vman96
Video Poker Master

Post by Vman96 »

Like Tedlark suggested, tossing all is the best play.

Here is a DDB strategy worked out by alpax. Haven't seen him on the forum lately, hope everything is okay.

http://forum.videopoker.com/forum/forum ... p?TID=8761

OTABILL
Video Poker Master

Post by OTABILL »

Like Tedlark suggested, tossing all is the best play.

Here is a DDB strategy worked out by alpax. Haven't seen him on the forum lately, hope everything is okay.

http://forum.videopoker.com/forum/forum ... p?TID=8761

Alpax hasn't been on since August 13. Hope he is all right.

BobDancer
Video Poker Master

Post by BobDancer »

I have a great deal of respect for Alpax --- and I think he is being misquoted here. When dealt three MCs, keeping one royal card with the MCs is better than just keeping the MCs by themselves.

Also, note that the Alpax strategy is specifically for the 9/6 DDB version of the game. It wasn't mentioned what version was available at Orleans.
In the 3MC section of the strategy, the pay schedule doesn't matter because you are going to get quads at least. In the other sections of the strategy, where full houses and flushes are possible, the pay schedule matters.
Concentrating on the 3 MC hands is fun --- because you always end up with a quad or a straight flush (which pay the same) --- at least --- but it's far more likely that you're dealt hands with 0, 1, or 2 MCs.

It's probably true that if you are dealt 3 MCs, any "reasonable" play will give you a plus score for the session. If you don't get dealt 3 MCs (or at least several separate 2 MC hands), you're going to end up a loser.

When you are dealt a 3 MC hand and win, it makes you feel smart and want to come back and try it again. But the hand you were dealt was pretty rare. You probably aren't going to be dealt it next time.

Vman96
Video Poker Master

Post by Vman96 »

I have a great deal of respect for Alpax --- and I think he is being misquoted here. When dealt three MCs, keeping one royal card with the MCs is better than just keeping the MCs by themselves.

Also, note that the Alpax strategy is specifically for the 9/6 DDB version of the game. It wasn't mentioned what version was available at Orleans.
In the 3MC section of the strategy, the pay schedule doesn't matter because you are going to get quads at least. In the other sections of the strategy, where full houses and flushes are possible, the pay schedule matters.
Concentrating on the 3 MC hands is fun --- because you always end up with a quad or a straight flush (which pay the same) --- at least --- but it's far more likely that you're dealt hands with 0, 1, or 2 MCs.

It's probably true that if you are dealt 3 MCs, any "reasonable" play will give you a plus score for the session. If you don't get dealt 3 MCs (or at least several separate 2 MC hands), you're going to end up a loser.

When you are dealt a 3 MC hand and win, it makes you feel smart and want to come back and try it again. But the hand you were dealt was pretty rare. You probably aren't going to be dealt it next time.

Oh, I was a bit unclear. I meant when you have 2 Magic Deal cards, don't hold a face card.

Orleans is definitely not 9/6 DDB, but using that strategy is still a big improvement over standard DDB strategy. Not sure what it was at quarters. I know it was 6/5 Bonus and 7/5 DDB at nickels. Bleh. Disappointing for a Boyd property.

matginlv
Forum Rookie

Post by matginlv »

Thanks for the answers everyone. If I head that way this weekend I'll try and remember to note the paytable is.

Chicagoan

Post by Chicagoan »

Magic Deal is destined to be among the most successful video poker games in terms of drawing and keeping addicted VP players. The magic deal function creates such huge hand possibilities that it greatly accelerates the anticipation factor that is such a major component of gambling addiction. I would advise anyine playing this game to push themselves away from the machine with their first substantial win.

asteroid

Post by asteroid »

100% agree sir. I'm thinking it will be the next UX in terms of success level. Magic Deal is destined to be among the most successful video poker games in terms of drawing and keeping addicted VP players. The magic deal function creates such huge hand possibilities that it greatly accelerates the anticipation factor that is such a major component of gambling addiction. I would advise anyine playing this game to push themselves away from the machine with their first substantial win.