Bob Dancer Classes

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
BobDancer
Video Poker Master

Bob Dancer Classes

Post by BobDancer »

The next 10-week semester of free video poker classes at the South Point will begin Tuesday, January 9, at noon in the Silverado Lounge. The new class this semester is 9/6 Double Double Bonus Wheel Poker with Quick Quads. This is a 99.81% game.The complete schedule may be found at bobdancer.com/seminarsIf you're at least 21, you're welcome.

DaBurglar
Video Poker Master

Post by DaBurglar »

Is there any likely possibility that this game will actually appear anywhere else besides a few Vegas properties?

I like wheel, and I have mastered QQs, so this game piques my interest... problem is I'm pretty sure I will only be in Vegas once in the next year or so...

BobDancer
Video Poker Master

Post by BobDancer »

Is there any likely possibility that this game will actually appear anywhere else besides a few Vegas properties?

I like wheel, and I have mastered QQs, so this game piques my interest... problem is I'm pretty sure I will only be in Vegas once in the next year or so...Where this game will end up in the next few years is just a guess. Exactly zero slot directors confide in me about their future plans. I suspect DB's guess might be correct, but I don't know. Things do change over time.I am curious that DB has mastered QQs. While I did co-write a book on the subject, I certainly haven't mastered this particular version --- or at this point even know the differences between the Wheel version and the non-wheel version (other than knowing it adds up to 0.16%)Since DB has already mastered these differences, perhaps he should teach the class instead.

DaBurglar
Video Poker Master

Post by DaBurglar »

DB appreciates the offer but DB is not interested or available to teach a class on QQs.

I've only played wheel a few times, maybe six hours of play total, and have yet to play the version that combines QQ with wheel.

I've played QQ quite a bit though, especially the last three and a half years... honestly the only thing I found hard about it was just recognizing the crappy hands I was used to throwing away playing regular ddb and holding them correctly instead, the rest was intuitive. And by "hard" I just mean slowing my play down enough to avoid mistakes while I got used to the paradigm shift of QQ.

C'mon Bob, don't tell me you had a hard time getting the hang of QQs! I know you caught on fairly fast

asteroid

Post by asteroid »

Bob, should think about teaching some classes in invective language and sarcasm, he's an expert at both.DB appreciates the offer but DB is not interested or available to teach a class on QQs.

I've only played wheel a few times, maybe six hours of play total, and have yet to play the version that combines QQ with wheel.

I've played QQ quite a bit though, especially the last three and a half years... honestly the only thing I found hard about it was just recognizing the crappy hands I was used to throwing away playing regular ddb and holding them correctly instead, the rest was intuitive. And by "hard" I just mean slowing my play down enough to avoid mistakes while I got used to the paradigm shift of QQ.

C'mon Bob, don't tell me you had a hard time getting the hang of QQs! I know you caught on fairly fast

alpax
Video Poker Master

Post by alpax »

Glad Mr. Dancer is around to make the announcement for the seminars. I have been filling in for the past few semesters.

I am pretty sure the Wheel Poker with Quick Quads is going to be a good one for the Intermediate/Advanced students.

Teaching VP is harder than it looks since the most difficult part is to meet the expectations of the audience. It is hard to prepare for that.

Wish I can check out a seminar while they last.

DaBurglar
Video Poker Master

Post by DaBurglar »

Bob, should think about teaching some classes in invective language and sarcasm, he's an expert at both

??

I'm going to choose to accept this post as a compliment, even though I know it wasn't meant as one. As far as I can recall I don't think any sarcasm or ...."invective"...was shot your way.

DaBurglar
Video Poker Master

Post by DaBurglar »

Alpax, what do you mean exactly by "expectations of the audience"?

If it's a free class, ostensibly to learn how to play a specific VP variant, what would anyone expect other than accurate useful info on the game itself? Do they also wish to be entertained? If so, maybe I would be a good speaker/teacher.... I could rattle off points while simultaneously balancing wheelies or crashing into bubble wrap with my mobility device, yelling Jackpot!

asteroid

Post by asteroid »

[QUOTE=asteroid]

Bob, should think about teaching some classes in invective language and sarcasm, he's an expert at both

??

I'm going to choose to accept this post as a compliment, even though I know it wasn't meant as one. As far as I can recall I don't think any sarcasm or ...."invective"...was shot your way.[/QUOTE]No none was shot my way. The post I made just previous to this one was directed at Mr. Dancer, not you, and should have read "Mr. Dancer should think about teaching some classes in invective language and sarcasm as he is an expert at both". Also that post was intended to support and defend you as I thought Mr. Dancer was being overly harsh in his response to your post regarding your strategy knowledge of QQs. I made a typo by putting a comma after "Bob" which may have contributed to the lack of clarity of my previous post in this thread.

DaBurglar
Video Poker Master

Post by DaBurglar »

[QUOTE=DaBurglar] [QUOTE=asteroid]

none was shot my way. The post I made just previous to this one was directed at Mr. Dancer, not you, and should have read "Mr. Dancer should think about teaching some classes in invective language and sarcasm as he is an expert at both". Also that post was intended to support and defend you as I thought Mr. Dancer was being overly harsh in his response to your post regarding your strategy knowledge of QQs. I made a typo by putting a comma after "Bob" which may have contributed to the lack of clarity of my previous post in this thread.<span ="_Tgc"></span>

Ah, I see, my bad too.

I appreciate your support, but don't be too hard on Bob, I wasn't very bothered by his response to me. The fact is I know several people like Bob in real life, and I consider all of them at least casual friends....

Bob found it difficult to completely believe that I have "mastered" QQs. He is right to be skeptical because most people playing VP in general, and in particular sophisticated games like QQs, are not "masters", and many are really lousy.

I'm fifty years old, been playing for over twenty-five years. I'm also a fairly good chess player, with a former rating just under the US master level (circa 1995). My academic and career background I've blabbed about before...still, the only way I could ever really prove to Bob, or anyone else, that I've truly mastered this game would be to play it in front of him for several hours (minimum)... I am certain Bob has better things to do, Lord knows I do. Lol