Switching Games

The lighter side... playing for entertainment, less concerned about "the math."
olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Switching Games

Post by olds442jetaway »

Lately, after a long streak of dud hands instead of leaving the machine, I just change games and I know its just coincidence, but some strange things have happened and all for the good. The most recent example....I was playing Joker Kings and had a dud streak of 37 hands. I got disgusted and switched the game within the same machine to regular Deuces Wild. The first hand was a straight flush. The next two hands were 4 of a kind and 5 of a kind. Then there were 4 break even hands and finally a dealt wild royal. Just for the heck of it, I switched back to Joker Kings and same thing, dead as a door nail. Back to deuces and it continued to regularly hit small stuff until my hundred I put in made it to 150. It started to die a bit and cashed out up 20 bucks. There have been many more examples lately. Just wondering if anyone has had similar experiences.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

I've heard that it can really bounce you back. I'd be bust after 37 such hands, so hopefully I get this idea after twelve dud hands. That's enough to know you're on an ice box. I've got to bail on JOB and hail DW. I'll keep that Plan B scenario in the back of my mind. If on on a JOB bank, proceed directly to Plan C and move/leave.

FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Post by FloridaPhil »

Wow, that was some great day!Then there are the bad days.  I remember playing in Tahoe a few years ago. I had played NSU deuces for three days in Reno and I was down about a $1,000 bucks.  As soon as I got to Harrahs, I checked the odds with my computer and the best game was Bonus Poker.   I switched to Bonus Poker and hit 2 sets of quad deuces within 15 minutes.  What a bummer....  The next morning I was totally disgusted.  I switched back to Deuces Wild and started holding all the deuces and any Royal Flush draw that came up.  Holding a hand the computer told me was a loser, I hit a royal flush.    We all get tired of playing the same game all the time.  Sometimes when I'm down my brain tells me a DDB quad ace is all I need to catch back up.  How many times does that actually happen?  Over the years I have tried every scheme you could possibly think of.   Right now I am convinced the most efficient way to play VP is to pick one game at one denomination and stay there.  It's not the most fun, but it's better than facing a short coin royal or a quad ace with a kicker playing deuces wild.  In VP anything that can happen will....  

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

Perhaps. But the switch and stay solvent idea has some traction. Hopefully, I will be okay on my primary game and not employ it much. But you gotta adapt and survive.

FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Post by FloridaPhil »

There is no relationship between what happens on a computer spreadsheet and what happens when you play VP in the short term.  My dog could be dealt 4 aces if she could reach the deal button.  There are widely diverse opinions on what is short and long term when it comes to VP.I think if you are going to use any VP strategy, you should give it enough time to work.Playing the same game at the same denomination makes all your hands productive.  If you play deuces wild all day switch to Jacks or Better and hit a quad deuce, you wasted your investment to miss out on winning 875 coins.  If you play max coins for a week then switch to single coin with your last $20 bucks and hit a royal, same thing only a lot more damage.If you don't care what happens, you may as well do whatever feels good at the time and accept the consequences both good and bad.  I believe in using a strategy when I play VP.  These days I pick a game that I enjoy, try to play it as best I can and stick with it.  Switching games can occasionally turn a bad day around, but I think it causes more negative consequences than it creates good ones.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

Agreed, give it both enough time to work in one session and enough sessions to constitute a decent sample size. And yes, DW to JOB sounds like a real bad idea for the reason you fleshed out. But I'm going the other way, so it's more justifiable. I had to resort to it today. After lunch and right before leaving, I did a JOB dollar bender. Suddenly down $43 with no end in sight. DW time. I was hitting quads and fulls like it was Christmas. Even with scaled down bets, I won $37 of it back. Thanks, Olds.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Good show FAA. Just pure luck of course, but doesn't it feel good when it works. Does for me. Almost as good as getting 20 minutes of free Vitamin D down by the shore with water and fresh air all around you. As a matter of fact, I needed a pick my up today being stuck in so much with the storm and ventured down to the end of my street and the shore. It was eleven degrees, but bright, sunny, and the wind had died down a bit. Couldn't resist shedding my hat coat and gloves for a 2 minute therapy session on the Jetty. It worked. Took some nice photos as well of the frozen surf, and the partial rocky shore covered in snow and ice. Going down to minus ten tonight though....bummer...

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

Yeah it feels good. I didn't make a trip in killer weather to flipping break even. Somehow machines may be prone to reward a game switch. Weird quirk. I'll keep reporting on findings. If a trend emerges, that's news I can use.

wrxrob
Forum Newbie

Post by wrxrob »

I'm also superstitious with this belief that certain games at certain denominations are paying more winning hands at that moment, especially on "newer" game king machines. Could be selective memory though.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

If you're bombing, get the hell out. Day trader mentality can do wonders. Stubborn goat mentality will undo you.