Which Game is Better?

The lighter side... playing for entertainment, less concerned about "the math."
FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Re: Which Game is Better?

Post by FloridaPhil »

I can stand criticism.  I can stand disagreement.  I can not tolerate being called unintelligent.   Forum members don't know me and I don't know them.  I am a well educated and disciplined person.   I won't bore you with the details, let's just say I am successful and leave it at that.   Just because I may have a doctorate in one field of endeavor does not mean I am an expert on all things.   Do you expect Bob Dancer to be able to rebuild an automatic transmission?  Everyone is an expert on some things and a novice on others.I never claimed to be a VP expert.  All I know about VP is what I have read.  I applied that knowledge and have had my own unique experiences.  Those experiences differ from Mr. Dancers.   When I asked him questions like I am asking you, he would not answer them clearly.  When I pressed him further, he started calling me names.  I know others have had some of the same issues as I have.My understanding is this forum is here to "teach" people to be better video poker players.  Unless we discuss negative games, we are not helping anyone except a few players in Vegas and they are the players who need help the least.  Perhaps my skepticism is being interpreted as taking shots.   I have no interest in fighting with anyone.  All I am trying to do is solve my personal VP challenges.

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

Is there REALLY enough room in the world for 2 Dr. Phils?????

Kidding, kidding, I couldn't resist. Love ya Phil.

New2vp
Video Poker Master

Post by New2vp »

I can stand criticism.  I can stand disagreement.  I can not tolerate being called unintelligent.   Forum members don't know me and I don't know them.  I am a well educated and disciplined person.   I won't bore you with the details, let's just say I am successful and leave it at that.   Just because I may have a doctorate in one field of endeavor does not mean I am an expert on all things.   Do you expect Bob Dancer to be able to rebuild an automatic transmission?  Everyone is an expert on some things and a novice on others.I never claimed to be a VP expert.  All I know about VP is what I have read.  I applied that knowledge and have had my own unique experiences.  Those experiences differ from Mr. Dancers.   When I asked him questions like I am asking you, he would not answer them clearly.  When I pressed him further, he started calling me names.  I know others have had some of the same issues as I have.My understanding is this forum is here to "teach" people to be better video poker players.  Unless we discuss negative games, we are not helping anyone except a few players in Vegas and they are the players who need help the least.  Perhaps my skepticism is being interpreted as taking shots.   I have no interest in fighting with anyone.  All I am trying to do is solve my personal VP challenges.

Your welcome for the earlier thank you.  I was in a rush when I posted earlier and did not see your response prior to the 2nd posting.I get your concern on the intelligence front.  If I was as good as Eduardo, I would look for a photo of Otto in A Fish Called Wanda saying, "Don't call me stupid!"  Many of us have our hot buttons.  I prefer not to see people giving advice acting as an expert when they are clearly not.As for not knowing you, well, if you have been telling the truth, I know more about your gambling habits than I know about those of most of my personal friends.  I do also get that you were disappointed in Dancer along the way.  I think we all get that.  When I searched the forum using your UserName and the word Dancer, I got:Search Results for 'Dancer' has found 625 results in 0.508 seconds.This search was processed Today at 12:18am.That's 63 pages.  I would think it's time to let that go.  (Oh, one time I searched and only got 283 results in 29 pages.  I don't know what the difference was.)I'm not entirely certain which posts you like best, but I can see which ones you react favorably to, which you respond negatively to, and which you ignore.  I'll get off on a little tangent here before wrapping this up.Personally, I would rather read Dancer's posts than a lot of others who I won't name.  I didn't appreciate you dogging his every post until he left.  But that's just my preference.  I know I don't dictate how things are run.  Other things that you may find boring might be exactly what others are interested in.  I saw Vman posting some misgivings about whether his posting was worth his time.  I'll give him a shout out here as someone whose posts are very helpful.There are many who sign up for this website for the main purpose of torpedoing the forum and Dancer.  That was going on long before you started here.  They delight in stirring things up, whether it is their belief or they just enjoy trolling.  I think many of them don't even like video poker.I would think that Webman should start a new section called the "Anti-VP" Forum sort of like the Shadowman vs. S 1 N G E R category.  Then several people could post there about all their evidence and experience that vp is rigged here, there, and everywhere.  It might be better if some of us were not allowed to post there ... or maybe it would be better if we didn't even have to see the posts. And I know there are many out there who will give you encouragement to keep telling it like it is ... or whatever the phrase of the day happens to me.  I'd encourage caution, but of course that's your call.Good luck on your next trip.

FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Post by FloridaPhil »

Great post!Bob is not an easy guy to love, at least on this forum.  I suspect it's part of his public "persona"  and he isn't that person in real life.   However, I do respect his opinions and wish I had not gotten into it with him to the extent I did.  The current separation between us seems to be working.  I have no idea what Bill Ryan's issue is.  Hopefully Webman can keep him in check.  He seems to be a reasonably intelligent guy.  This question keeps coming up and is at the heart of most all my VP questions.To what extent does video poker mathematics have on the average Recreational video poker player?  I believe I may have been looking at this issue the wrong way.  Odds and perfect play alone can not force jackpots to appear or keep you from losing on any given day.    I think we can all agree on that.  What using the best mathematical strategies does is allow you to play more hands with the same money.  For example, if by playing a 98.9% DW game you get 25 extra coins for a wild royal, you can play 5 extra hands just by playing the better game.  More hands in time should mean more jackpots. What we recreational players are searching for is a VP strategy that will keep us from busting AND make us a winner.  The fear of busting is stronger.   It causes us to do all kinds of things that are counterproductive or waste hands that could be used more wisely.  After years of VP play, I have come to the conclusion that we are looking for something that doesn't exist.Going back to my original question, which game should I play in Tampa today?  I should play the best game with the best strategy.  I should stick to my plan and stop engineering ways to "hit it big" or keep me from running out of money.  In Tampa, the best max coin quarter game is 7/5 Bonus Poker.  I am capable of playing this game computer perfect.  For how long I don't know, but I'll do my best.  Biloxi will bring new challenges that I will be forced to deal with.

New2vp
Video Poker Master

Post by New2vp »

Great post back at ya! Got it. Check.

markinca

Post by markinca »

If I don't hit a royal, the game still pays 98.9%.

This is incorrect. That 98.9% number takes into account hitting the royal, so it wouldn't still pay it if you don't hit the royal. Royals account (depending on the game) for around 2 percent of the overall payout - so you'd be looking at something like a 97% game if you never hit royals.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

I think that he only meant during max bet, no RF.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

Phil,
Since you claim you have no idea what my problem is, let me spell it out for you.
I detest liars. You have told dozens, if not hundreds of them about me, about math, about others.
Confronted with them, you double down on them or make up new ones.
Now you know.

FloridaPhil
Video Poker Master

Post by FloridaPhil »

Today was a great experience.   Since switching to Bonus Poker last month, I have done much better.  My money lasts longer and I am not temped to go on tilt nearly as much.  I upped my daily bankroll to $400 allowing me to play max coin quarter Bonus Poker for at least 4 hours switching denominations when I doubled my money.  The odds do not change at the higher denominations, still 7/5.   I do this to make the game more exciting.   For me playing Bonus Poker quarters all day can be pretty boring.Two weeks ago I hit a 50 cent $2,000 royal flush playing Bonus Poker.    Last week was a zero, but I still managed to come home with $100.  This week was a dry run for our Biloxi trip, so I started out playing max coin quarter Bonus Poker.  I hit a few small quads and hung in there pretty well for the first two hours.     In the middle of one of my hundreds, I was dealt a Royal Flush for $1,000!    I haven't had a dealt royal in years.  This one was in spades.  It happened so fast and quick I forgot to take a photo for the Forum.    Pocketing the ticket, I put in another hundred and switched to Bonus Poker dollars.   Within 10 minutes I hit quad fours for $200. Just for fun I decided to switch to Deuces Wild dollars and go for a $1,000 quad deuce.   I hit a wild royal for $125 and ran the counter up to $200 and cashed out again.  When the day was over I had a $1,000 profit plus my original $400.So far I am up $3000 for our Biloxi Trip.

Jstark
Video Poker Master

Post by Jstark »

That picture doesn't prove anything.