Quick Quad Strategy Question

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
klynn_c
Forum Newbie

Quick Quad Strategy Question

Post by klynn_c »

I have been using the Videopoker.com Training software for Quick Quads Bonus Poker (both 8/5 and 7/5) and I keep getting an error on not holding a single 10 or 9 instead of drawing 5 new cards. My reading of the strategy cards (both Dancer and Wizard of Odds) is not to hold a single 9 or 10 in this game but to draw 5 new cards. What am I missing?

New2vp
Video Poker Master

Post by New2vp »

I have been using the Videopoker.com Training software for Quick Quads Bonus Poker (both 8/5 and 7/5) and I keep getting an error on not holding a single 10 or 9 instead of drawing 5 new cards. My reading of the strategy cards (both Dancer and Wizard of Odds) is not to hold a single 9 or 10 in this game but to draw 5 new cards. What am I missing?Hey klynn, I don't think you are missing anything. My guess is that the training software is calculating an Expected Value wrong somewhere and giving incorrect advice. If you were playing Wheel with Quick Quads, single 9s and 10s are sometimes correct holds, but not with regular Bonus Quick Quads.

You might want to ask Webman for help. Best of luck!

jetermacaw
VP Veteran

Post by jetermacaw »

On a crap QQ hand I personally hold a single 10. 10s give you the most combinations of getting a QQ, and you can't get a Royal without a 10.

DaBurglar
Video Poker Master

Post by DaBurglar »

I have been using the Videopoker.com Training software for Quick Quads Bonus Poker (both 8/5 and 7/5) and I keep getting an error on not holding a single 10 or 9 instead of drawing 5 new cards. My reading of the strategy cards (both Dancer and Wizard of Odds) is not to hold a single 9 or 10 in this game but to draw 5 new cards. What am I missing?

Listen to your heart...if it tells you to hold that 10, then you HOLD that ten tight to your chest and draw, and if you're a good person who says his prayers and eats this veggies and helps old ladies get to the liquor store, you'll draw 10 10 7 3...or a royal even!

I'm here to help....

Webman
Video Poker Master

Post by Webman »

I’ll check on this and report back. Thanks.

klynn_c
Forum Newbie

Post by klynn_c »

Thanks Webman

jetermacaw
VP Veteran

Post by jetermacaw »

Short session yesterday, 5 hand 9/6 DB QQs, bricked 10,10,5,5 twice, 10,10,7,3 & 10,10,6,4 once, held single 10 once & got a QQs. It’s just a random thing.

Vman96
Video Poker Master

Post by Vman96 »

Short session yesterday, 5 hand 9/6 DB QQs, bricked 10,10,5,5 twice, 10,10,7,3 & 10,10,6,4 once, held single 10 once & got a QQs. It’s just a random thing.

And on 9/6/5 DB QQ, holding a only ten looks to be correct if there are no penalty cards. No way I knew that offhand. Lol

New2vp
Video Poker Master

Post by New2vp »

Vman, if you check out the strategies for Wheel Poker with Quick Quads, you will see instances of single cards all over the place.  TDB has several places where 4s, 3s, and Ts are the best play.  With Bonus Poker, both Ts and 9s play quite often.  And I seem to recall that at least one of the pay schedules for Jacks or Better strategy contains an instance where a singleton 8 plays as well as having some 9s and Ts that play.  That wouldn't be in the Basic Strategy though.TDB also has quite a few A3 suited plays and even some A4 suited holds for some pay schedules, though here again I don't think A4 makes its way into Basic Strategy.